Monday, July 30, 2012

Starting Over

I declined the offer on the house.  In the end the agent and I concurred that the counter price was iffy.  I decided to wait it out and look at other options.  They may come down in price later or I might find something even better.  Matt I spent most of the day driving around town looking at other houses.  My problem is that I have champagne dreams on a beer budget.  I want a fairly large house with at least 4 bedrooms, good sized kitchen, and two bathrooms.  But there’s always a compromise in getting what I want.  I can get most of that with a new construction in a great neighborhood, with the sacrifice of a smaller kitchen.  Or I have to go farther out.  Or I have to give up something else.  Or I have to pay more money.  It seems the perfect house doesn’t exist for people with somewhat limited budgets.  It would be different if Matt and I were buying a house together, but he’s not ready for that kind of commitment – which I totally understand.  Though I don’t think Matt is going anywhere, I feel more secure making this purchase on my own.  If for whatever reason things don’t work out, I’m not stuck with a house I can’t afford.  And on the plus side, if he does stick around and we get married and such, having a dual income with a smaller house payment will make things easier financially. 

I forgot to mention that Matt bought me my birthday present early.  He bought me tickets for the Olivia Newton John concert here in November.  I have been a fan of Olivia since I was 8 years old and saw Grease for the first time.  I used to play her greatest hits album on my record player all the time.  We have floor seats in row S.  I’m very excited about it.  He is such a great boyfriend. 

No comments: