Monday, May 27, 2013

A Nice Trip Back “Home”

“Home” is a relative term these days.  I headed back to Canyon for a trip this weekend.  And though that place was my home for many, many years, I’m finding that I really belong to San Antonio now.  It was great to see people though.  I was able to see my friend Pam who I hadn’t seen since her daughter’s funeral.  She is still having a rough time, but managing the best she can.  She cried when she hugged me.  We had dinner at Abuelo’s – a really good Mexican restaurant.  On Saturday morning, I went to the Donut Stop and enjoyed a maple donut and a cinnamon cluster.  I went shopping afterward and bought some books and a gift card for my friend that is retiring.  I met my former mother-in-law for lunch and we went to The Plaza which is another Mexican restaurant.  It’s funny how I came from San Antonio – a city with 100’s of Mexican restaurants and ate my fill of Mexican food in Amarillo.  We had a nice visit and then I did more shopping afterward.  I went to Dillard’s and they had a pretty good sale going on so even though I shouldn’t have, I bought some clothes.  But they’re really cute.  For dinner on Saturday, I met my friend Carol from church.  We went to Feldman’s and had a nice long visit.  Everyone wants to know when Matt and I are getting married and I tell them that I’d like to know that myself.  On Sunday, I slept in a little and then went to the 11:15 mass at church since the men’s ensemble would be singing.  Mass was very nice and I realize that my church is one of the things I miss the most about Canyon.  I still haven’t found a church here that comes close.  I feel more spiritually renewed when I go back to St. Ann’s.  After church, I met Mary, my former choir director, and her husband and son at Taco Villa.  Yes, I finally got my Taco Villa fix.  I ordered the meat burrito grande and a cripy taco.  It was so yummy.  After that I went to the retirement party for my former colleague who taught for 35 years.  It was great to see her and catch up with all my other speech teacher friends.  I intended to leave by 3:30 or 4:00 but the entertainment lasted longer than expected.  I didn’t get out of there until 4:30.  I went to Taco Villa (again) and picked up a burrito to eat on the road.  Luckily I didn’t hit any weather on the way home.  I made it in around 12:30 last night.  I had to work today so I came home pretty tired.  Josh has a friend (female) visiting here for a few days.  Matt grilled some tilapia this evening.  Right now we’re watching the Spurs game hoping that they’ll go ahead and sweep the series.  I’m probably going to bed early tonight.  Tomorrow I have to go to a meeting all day and then the rest of the week, I’m going to work on cleaning up the library and getting rid of a lot of equipment that we have in storage. 

No comments: