Monday, May 18, 2009

Updates

This is a picture of Josh and I at the band banquet last Friday. Josh received the John Phillip Sousa Award which is the highest honor one can receive. Band has been amazing for him. He also received two scholarships. He received a $500 scholarship and a $300 scholarship. The latter was from the family of the former drum major that was tragically killed in the fall. One of the pieces that the band is playing at their final concert is one he wrote in her memory. The community band that I'm in is also playing another one of his pieces that he wrote. I couldn't be more proud of him.

We thought that he wasn't going to get any music scholarships from SFA because of being a composition major. We got a nice surprise last week with an offer of $4000 ($500 a semester) as a scholarship for auditioning for one of the major ensembles. Now we're getting close to having his first year fully covered. We're taking out one loan right now but hopefully that's all we'll have to do. Tonight is a scholarship ceremony so we'll see if he gets any additional scholarships.

Leann asked about my eharmony experience. Well, there's not a whole lot more to tell. I've communicated regularly with a guy in Seattle who is sending me something in the mail. Unfortunately, I don't think he's a potential candidate. He's probably a bit too conservative for me. He's an actual 40 year old virgin which concerns me. I know it's noble to have waited until marriage, but it makes me wonder why he's still single. Is that bad? There's more to it, but it's difficult to put into words. There's a couple of other guys I've gotten to the level of open communication, but nobody close by. I chatted with with one guy from Houston last night. He's originally from Peru but now lives in Houston and is a bilingual Kindergarten teacher. A plus is that he's Catholic. The one I'm most interested in doesn't respond very often, and I thought he'd written me off, but he did write this past weekend. He lives near Dallas, is Catholic and loves rollercoasters. He's a graphic artist and very tall. Two guys locally have started the process of communication but they haven't gone to the next level in several days. Mostly eharmony seems to be a lot of mismatching, waiting around, and no dates have come out of yet. I'll give it a little more time since I have a three month subscription, but so far there's not a whole lot of action.

Well, I'm going to have another slice of pizza and then perhaps and ice cream.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the awards! That is really great news!
I hope the catholic rollercoasterlover will show a little more action!

Leann said...

I'm so excited for your son. How wonderful and you must be a very proud Mama. It's wonderful he is so interested in music.

I truly hope you have better luck with the e-harmony thing than I did.

Billy said...

Yeah for Josh! How did everything go?

Stacy said...

I found the man of my dream on Eharmony 3 weeks before the end of my three months. That was also after 2+ years of on and off subscriptions with them. I live in a big city so I limited my search to locals only.

Just remember it just takes one!