Monday, June 29, 2009

New York It Is

I think it's hands down that the recommendations are for going to New York. I've been doing research (of course) and I think it would be a great trip for us. Here's the plan so far assuming prices etc. hold until I can book the flights and reserve the hotel. If you have additional advice, I'd certainly love to hear it.

We'll be leaving on Sunday, July 26 from ABQ via Southwest. I can get flights for $375 right now and they don't charge for luggage. Other airlines cost $450 or more right now plus the cost for luggage. We'll take a shuttle to downtown for around $10. It will take forever but I think it will be easier than taking luggage on the subway and cheaper than a cab. I'm probably going to choose the Hampton Inn near the Empire state building which I can get pre-paid for $152 a night. Breakfast and wireless is included which helps with the cost. We'll definitely see a Broadway show but we're debating first which show and if we want to pay full price now to guarantee good seats for a show we want to see or if we want to take a chance on half-price tickets the day of. We'll probably do the other touristy things like go to the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Rockefeller Center, one of the art museums, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, and probably some shopping. We'll have four full days there as we'll arrive on Sunday and leave on Friday.

We'll get a metro pass for a week so we can use the subway but we know a lot of walking will be involved. So what advice do you have for me? Do you have Broadway Show recommendations?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last summer I was there and saw several, including Wicked and Jersey Boys. Both were better than wonderful! Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons may be before your time, but the music is good, and their story is so poignant and sweet. You will have a great time. You will be close to Macy's also. I'm excited for you! You deserve a nice treat! Betzy

Billy said...

Grand Central Station is a must see. There some cool little shops there. If you are wanting to view NYC from a high place, I suggest doing it from Rockefellar Center so you can SEE the Empire State Building. I totally suggest doing the red bus tour as soon as you get there. You can get off and on as much as you like and they go by all of the main attractions. You can get a two day pass on those. Do not eat in restaurants that are on the touristy streets. Choose restaurants that are a few blocks over, they are considerably cheaper and totally delicious. I have some recommendations if you would like. Little Italy is practically swallowed up by Chinatown, so it may be worth your while to skip that part. We did a food tour of Greenwich Village, I highly recommend that. My goodness, do I keep going?

Leann said...

I hope you and your son thoroughly enjoy your trip and I'm delightfully envious of you. I've never been to New York but it's on my 'to do' list.

summer/maw said...

Shoes. It's all about good shoes!