Friday, March 28, 2014

A Trip to Houston

Today I played hooky from school and went to Houston.  Ok, I actually took a personal day with my principal’s permission, but I still took the day off.  I left around 8:30 this morning but had to stop at the bank first and fill up my tank with gas.  I got to Houston shortly before noon.  I was meeting Josh downtown in order to hear one of his pieces being performed.  He was selected earlier in the year to compose a piece for a special music project and received a commission for writing it.  His piece was performed four different times during the year and the last performance was today.  So I met him downtown to hear it.  Of course I thought it was amazing and by far the best piece.  (But, yes, I’m totally biased.)  I just thought his piece sounded more “time oriented” which was kind of the theme of the project with the performance taking place at a clock tower.  One of Matt’s friends that we have stayed with in Houston also came to hear it.  Matt didn’t go with me so I thought it was nice for Kristie to come.  She and her husband have been very hospitable to us. 

After the concert (6 pieces were performed), Josh and I went to the mall for lunch and shopping.  He bought me lunch at California Pizza Kitchen and then he went clothes shopping.  He found some shirts, pants, and shoes.  I found two pairs of pants since I typically wear the same 4 every week (and jeans on Fridays).  I headed back at 5:00 which was not a great time in Houston traffic, but it wasn’t too bad.  It was slow for a while, but it kept moving at least.  I got in a little after 8:00. 

Matt and I got a surprise yesterday.  Matt’s mom sent him a card that said “Congratulations and best wishes to the two of you.”  Maybe all the prayers and intercessions we’ve been sending up are working.  I don’t know if this means she approves of me, the marriage or will even come to the wedding, but I guess we’ll take it as a hopeful sign.  That’s all we can do. 

Matt has been sick for a few days with the flu.  He went to the doctor on Thursday and got some medicine, but still tried to go back to work.  He ended up coming home after lunch and going to bed.  He did go in to work today although he probably should have stayed home.  You know he is sick if he is in bed before 10:00 – which is where he is at the moment. 

I’ll be headed there soon.  I’ve been playing the word games on Lumosity and I finally topped some of Matt’s scores.  I decided to quit while I was ahead.  I hadn’t blogged in a while so I figured I could tell you about my quick trip today.  Tomorrow I need to create a flyer for our upcoming Fiesta Concert.  I’m looking forward to sleeping in though. 

No comments: