Thursday, May 17, 2012

Already tired and it’s just beginning

I’m ready for school to be out.  Well, not entirely – I’m too far behind to think I might get caught up, but that’s another story.  I’m just ready to get some decent sleep.  This has been my hell week of sorts.  At least it’s not like in the past where I’ve had to deal with Koobraey and a speech tournament.  Our middle school UIL competition is this Saturday.  I’m running all of the speech events (all three of them).  Thankfully, I’m able to use the software that we’ve always used for this.  It’s good that I’m friends with the programmer/owner because he’s letting me use it for free.  This week I’ve entered a whole bunch of data and then used the program to organize the tournament.  I have all the judges down for their events, the students are sectioned into their rooms, and I’m just waiting for the drops that will come in tomorrow and make adjustments as needed.  In the midst of all of this, I’ve been working with my UIL students and coaching 4 different events.  I’ve put together three poetry collections and written introductions for them.  I’ve administered listening tests, quizzes over maps, charts, and graphs and helped figure out the dictionary skills contest.  I’ve set up spread sheets, assigned duties, completed our lunch order for subway and have only just gone a little crazy.  I even made Matt supper on Wednesday night. 

Tonight I went to the Goodwill store to see if I could find a top for one of my students to wear that was more dressy.  She only has school shirts to wear so I wanted to find something that she could use.  Our students are pretty poor so I figure that I could help out a little.  I found two tops that might work so I’ll take them to school tomorrow and see if either one works.  I also bought a new shirt for another student who never seems to have clean clothes.  I told him I’d give it to him tomorrow and he can wear it on Saturday. 

Tonight I picked up a few more items for decorating our tables at the competition, bought some new underwear (since Mollie keeps eating mine), and a new pair of flat black dress shoes.  I even managed to get to Scrabble practice and play a game. 

I didn’t get to watch American Idol so I don’t know who the top two are.  I’m sure it will be spoiled for me since I probably can’t keep away from facebook.  Oh well.  It’s going to be a busy weekend and I won’t have time to watch it until maybe Sunday.  I’m going to check on the Spurs game and then head to bead.  It will be a long day tomorrow and an even longer day on Saturday. 

No comments: