Saturday, May 19, 2012

Survived UIL

It was an early morning when my alarm went off at 5:30.  I got to school by 6:45 but the bus was 20 minutes late.  I guess that’s par for the course for this district.  We got to the host school about 7:35 but then had to wait for the busses in front of us to disembark.  I went ahead and got off the bus and ran to get the speech stuff started.  It got off to a slow start because several of the judges didn’t show, but we managed to get things off and started.  There were a lot of student no shows as well which was frustrating as well.  At least I learned a few things and I know that I won’t schedule things so far in advance.  The speech events all went well and everyone seemed pleased with how things ran on that end.  And on another positive note, one of my students that I coached ended up placing 2nd. 

It was a long day but fairly successful.  Another student placed 2nd in science and then another placed 6th in dictionary skills.  The awards ceremony was a bit long and it took forever for it to get going, but I made it back to the school by 4:45.  The last student was picked up by 5:00 and then I headed home and changed clothes.  Matt is on his way over and he’s taking me out to dinner tonight.  We’re having steak, I think. 

I have a bird’s nest built right above my door and today I saw baby birds in it.  I will try to get a picture of it at some point.

1 comment:

Leann said...

I hope today was more of a relaxing one for ya.