Thursday, August 12, 2004

Gifts

Here's a lesson to all men out there...
If you want to get your significant other a gift, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.
Wrong way: give her a gift certificate because you can't figure out what she wants.
Right way: take the time to learn about her and her tastes and pick something out based on that.
Wrong way: take her to the store and have her pick something out and you buy it
Right way: go shopping with her, let her show you her tastes... ASK questions as to whether she likes this or that, then LATER go shopping and choose something for her.
And if you want to surprise her, you have to learn to the fine art of getting information without being obvious. Sometimes this means planning things months in advance.
If you don't know this already, women love to talk and share, but you have ask us questions.
So, now that I've gotten that out, here's a few clues about me:
It's probably not a good idea to buy me clothes (unless it's something like a coaster or marvin t-shirt). I never buy any clothing for myself without trying it on and usually I'll try on 7 or 8 outfits for every one that I buy. That is probably the most difficult thing to buy for me. Other than that, I think I'm pretty easy.
Jewelry: I do love jewelry, though I don't always wear it. I did wear my wedding ring from the day I was engaged until the day I separated from my ex, however. I like both gold and silver and prefer petite to gaudy. I don't really have a preference for stones except that I don't really like pearls that much. Jewelry is a no-brainer and just about anything goes with it. But it's expensive and I would only expect someone that cares very deeply for me to buy it for me.
Books, movies, etc: I have an amazon.com wish list that I've recently updated if you really, really need help on things I want. You'll have to search via my email address as it's not yet coming up with my new name correctly. (annabel_lee_tx@yahoo.com)
There's a lot of times that I really just don't have a clue as to what I want or need. But anything that is bought with the intent to make me happy or feel special will do the trick. It can be a card, some flowers, a stuffed animal or chocolate. What is important is that it's done because you care, not to even a score. Though birthdays and Christmas are obvious, sometimes "just because" is the best occasion.

No comments: