Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Prison Pete Blog

mmmm... very interesting. In the last several days, Pete's blog has jumped from pretty much me being the only one to read it to over 3000 hits. I have to say that I had a hand in it and am amazed that it's gotten such a response. I just happened upon the blog one night when I searched for people interested in rollercoasters. It was disturbing yet interesting reading. I was surprised at how literate and educated he was for being in prison. I did ask at one time what he was in prision for and he evaded the question. I figured it was probably a good thing that I didn't know lest I be judgmental. I also struck up a friendship with Jim, his editor, that posts the blogs for him. Jim told me that the fact that I was reading the journal gave Pete some hope and himself the drive to continue to do this for him. I figured the least I could do is perhaps spread the word about it a bit. I had noticed the blogs of note on the blogger page and thought maybe they would consider his with it being as unusual as it is. So I just sent an email. That's all I did. And they agreed. So that's kind of cool. There's a link to my journal on his blog so maybe I'll get a little more traffic once in a while. Not that it matters really or that my ramblings would be interesting to anyone else... but it is pretty cool to be read. I did get a comment out of the blue today which was quite cool.
As for Prison Pete, I hope he's ready for the flurry of controversy that is sure to befall him because of his journal getting read. I know there will be a lot of people out there that are going to be ugly and judgmental and ask a lot of questions. And perhaps he'll get those that find it interesting like I do. I don't necessarily agree with him on everything he says in his journal and feel he probably deserves the punishment he's getting. But he has the right to voice his opinion and it's certainly getting voiced to a lot of people now.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Jennifer,

I just read some of Pete's blog, from the link on blogspot.com...I just wanted to pass along my thanks to you for getting him listed in the blogs of note. I also wanted to say that I've looked through your blog, as well...it is interesting. ;)

Would you consider me to be "stepping on your toes" if I link to Pete's blog from my own? I thought I'd ask before doing it, just in case.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

do you know what pete did to become incarcerated? i want to continue reading, but for personal reasons and suspicions, i don't want to unless i know.

john william vondra said...

Hello, I too have just been reading Pet's blog and it is interesting. I think it a good idea that prisoners have access to the internet. However, there must be some sort of supervision as I am sure that some prisoners would abuse the internet. As many do that are not under very close supervision. I noticed that 'Pete' is off to New York State prison in November. That may not be as much fun for him as 'the club Fed'. Hopefully it is the same or better.