Friday, August 30, 2013

Survived the first week

It’s been an exhausting, but productive first week of school.  I finally got some hired help for the past two days and my library almost looks like a library again.  On Monday I pulled textbooks and cleaned.  I continued this throughout the week.  Once I got some hired help and a lot of boxes, I started packing up discontinued textbooks.  My circulation desk area is now clean and clear.  I still have a few things to get done on Tuesday and should be able to open the library by Wednesday.  This will be the earliest that I’ve been able to open the library.  It makes a difference having some hired help.  Matt also came to school today because he got the day off.  He had some “use it or lose it” vacation time that he needed to take. 

Josh started grad school this week and he discovered that Houston traffic is horrible.  One day he made it to class barely in time.  He discovered that he needed to leave by 6:45 a.m. to get to campus in time for his 8:00 class where he is an assistant.  I think he’s enjoying it so far.  I’m glad he has a roommate.  He took Felix (the cat) with him and I’m actually missing the little shit.  He was a pain, but made me laugh.  Of course I miss Josh, but I’m just proud that he’s getting his master’s degree.

I’m competing in a Scrabble tournament this weekend.  There’s only six players in my division but I’m still not very confident.  There’s some good prize money attached, but we’ll see how it goes.  I haven’t studied since before nationals and I feel like I’ve lost everything that I thought I learned.  I’m going to cram a little tonight and hope for the best.  I’ll do ok if I draw well.  I played Matt at club last night and had a very good game.  I beat him about 445 to 415.  I had three bingos in that game alone. 

I got to shake hands with our superintendent of schools today.  He dropped in our campus for a surprise visit.  Luckily he didn’t stop in the library – I met him in the hall while I was monitoring between passing periods.  It’s kind of strange working in such a large district.  My last district only had one high school so the superintendent sort of knew who I was – especially when I started dating the business manager.  But here there are 10 high schools, 14 middle schools and a lot more elementary schools.  I still get frustrated with the way some things are run, but I like the fact that I kind of stand out because I’m good at what I do. 

Matt’s friend, Cesar, is staying here tonight.  He is a Scrabble player that is running our tournament for us.  They’re watching a college football game on tv.  Since that’s not my thing, I just brought my laptop upstairs to my bedroom.  I’m going to listen to music for a little while and study some cards.  Then I’ll read a little Harry Potter and call it a night.  Luckily I don’t have to get up quite as earlier as I have to for school. 

1 comment:

Leann said...

Glad you were able to make some good progress on the library. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :-)