Saturday, July 24, 2004

Having fun in the Big D

I thought that perhaps coming to my work meeting would be fairly boring with nothing but meetings although the company does add “fun” stuff in the evenings.  It’s true that the meetings themselves have been mostly on the boring side and the rooms have felt like either a freezer or sauna with no happy medium.  The evening events, however, have been surprisingly entertaining.  I have to admit that a good deal of it involved alcohol (courtesy of the company). 
Thursday evening was a "team building" activity which I thought originally wouldn't be much fun.  Amazingly it was.  The dinner itself was actually pretty tasty.  The events consisted of standing in a line holding hands (think "Red Rover") and passing a hula hoop down the line and back as many times as you can in a certain amount of time.  Next was Texas Volleyball that involved a ball that was about 3 ft in diameter.   Riding tricycles followed this and I did one lap before realizing that it wasn't my thing.  (Still have a bruise on my knee)  My game came next, which was scrabble of sorts.  Had to have someone throw out tennis balls with letters on them from a big bin and then the team had to make as many words as possible.  We scored first in this event.  Finally we had to do this 4 person walking thing with 4 people standing on long boards with ropes and then walking together.  (we sucked at that and I actually fell and rolled backwards on it.. no, I wasn't hurt).  In the end our team won 2nd place and we got nifty medals.
Last night was the "Blast from the Past" dance.  I went as a punk rocker from the 80's.  I teased my hair up and put two pony tails in it and sprayed it purple and pink.  I wore a black trash bag with a black belt and torn fishnet stockings.  My makeup was black eye shadow and blush with black lipstick.  I got a lot of compliments on the outfit and surprised and probably even shocked a few people that didn't know I had that kind of character in me.  I lost count on the number of smirnoff ices I had, but I know I danced quite a bit through the music of the 80’s and had a lot of fun despite being alone.  Maybe next year I'll be able to take Marty.
Tonight's dinner is supposed to be really nice, but it’s not the formal one I thought it was going to be.  Turns out that event now occurs at the Jan. meeting for printing people.  I wasn’t sure if I had something appropriate to wear then since I did bring my formal dress.  (That fits great by the way)  I’m sure there will be some additional alcohol involved in this evening’s festivities.  I figure when it's free, you might as well have some fun with it.  I'll be heading home sometime tomorrow morning.  I’m not looking forward to the drive, but it was cheaper than flying. 

No comments: