Tuesday, July 20, 2004

My Former Best Friend

I had a very good friend once upon a time named R.  We met in junior high in symphonic band at Valleyview.  We became best friends when we were flag co-captains in high school.  We continued our friendship as we went to college and beyond.  I was a bridesmaid in her wedding and she was matron of honor at mine.  A little over 2 years ago, she stopped talking to me.  I really don't know why.  I've racked my brain for a while contemplating what I might have done to set her off and cause her to not want to talk to me, but I honestly haven't been able to figure it out.   The only thing I could possibly think that might have played a part was my relationship with Richard.   I was quite miserable with him in the last few years and I would often call R, being my best friend and all, and basically cry on her shoulder.  I thought perhaps she got tired of it or something, but I thought that best friends should stay with you no matter what.  Despite the huge mistakes you might have made, a true friend should just be there for you and perhaps slap you in the face and tell you to wake up and smell the coffee or something.  If her reasons have nothing to do with Richard, then I'm at a loss.  It has bothered me to some degree in the past two years; but right now I have a bitterness about it and I don't want to reach out to her seeking an explanation.   When she stopped talking to me, I called for 6 months and only talked to her on one occasion during that time.  I finally took the hint.  I've had dreams about it, which have been disconcerting to some degree, but I've basically decided to write her off.  Part of me at one time thought that I'll just continue to be there for her and when and if she wants to resume a friendship with me, that will be great.  It's now been so long, I've figured that perhaps it was never a true friendship and it's not worth my time.  The "why" still eats at me from time to time, but in the end I guess it doesn't matter.  I have discovered wonderful true friends that I know will always be there through thick and thin.  I am thankful for them and I cherish them. 

1 comment:

the flashmaster general said...

hey, sympathies with the friend thing! i've just 'written off' a life long friend too. sometimes people can just shut themselves up and there's no way of getting through to them! After a while it just goes stale and there's not much you can do.it's no fun.
[Great blog by the way...good coffee time reading!:)]