Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Year in Review Meme

O.k. I've done this one before but it's interesting to see how things change. You can read the 2007, 2005, and 2004 versions if you're interested. I didn't do it in 2006 but briefly posted. Here's the 2008 Year in Review. Feel free to do this on your blog as well.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?

Took the GRE, filled out my FAFSA, applied to Graduate School, took out student loans and completed my first two graduate school classes.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn’t make any resolutions since I know myself and that I won’t keep them. I haven’t given a lot of thought to resolutions for this year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My brother’s girlfriend had their second child in February.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no.

5. What countries did you visit?

Countries? Yeah, right. I did go to Vegas though.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

A marriage proposal. No, really, I don’t know… I would just like more time I guess. More love. More friends.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

July 5, 2008 – High school reunion banquet when I realized that Marty still had feelings though he had yet to admit them. Nov. 17 when Marty and I officially started dating again.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Getting into grad school and making A’s in both my classes. The work I did for my 20 year class reunion.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not being able to say no when I should have. My lacking prayer life.

10. What was the best thing you bought?

Plane ticket to see Marty. A new mp3 player to replace my old one.


11. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Josh had a great year making all-state band for the 3rd time, qualifying for TFA state and NFL nationals in speech. I think I was pretty good this year as well.

12. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted?

Nobody that I can think of.

13. What song will always remind you of 2008?

I would have to say the songs that I chose for the reunion video: Forever Young, Only the Young, Time After Time, and Friends. But I also have to think about the new groups that I’ve found in my recent music acquisitions.

14. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Reading for pleasure, cleaning my house, and “fun” things.

15. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Worrying over things in which I have no control.

16. Did you fall in love in 2008?

That’s hard to answer. I reignited love so to speak. I fell for Marty all over again after the reunion this summer. Although I can’t say that I every really stopped loving him, I put it on hold for three years. It’s still a long journey and we’re not where we were at one time, but I continue to have hope despite his reservations as well as mine. Call me a glutton for punishment.

17. What was your favorite TV program?

Monk, Psych, Heroes.

18. What was the best book you read?

I actually read a lot of great books this year, but they’re all children’s or youth books. But some of my favorites were: The Giver, Hope Was Here, Skippyjohn Jones, The Invention of Hugo Cabret are just a few. I also read The Twilight series in the last few days which I also enjoyed. It was a good year for reading but most of it was required.

19. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying?

Less classes to teach, more time, really being able to get inside Marty’s head and not feeling like I have to continue to tip-toe around him for fear of him running.

20. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

What fashion? That about sums it up.

21. What kept you sane?

Church. Faith, hope, and love. I can’t give a better answer than that… though I admit that sanity was touch and go for a while.

22. Who did you miss?

Marty. High school friends that I hadn’t seen and were suddenly reunited with.

23. Who was the best new person you met?

My new assistant speech coach that has been a great asset to me this year. I feel more comfortable pursuing my library career since I have someone that can take over for me that I know will continue to do a great job.

24. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2008.

LEARN TO SAY NO!

25. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I’m not going to just give you a brief lyric – I think this song sums things up pretty well for me. I try not to live with much regret and I feel that everything that I have to deal with and go through has a reason. As long as I learn from mistakes then that’s a good thing.

Lessons Learned by Carrie Underwood

There's some things that I regret,
Some words I wish had gone unsaid,
Some starts,
That had some better endings,
Been some bad times I've been through,
Damage I cannot undo.
Some things,
I wish I could do all all over again,
But it don't really matter,
When life gets that much harder,
It makes you that much stronger,
Oh, some pages turned,
Some bridges burned,
But there were,
Lessons learned.

And every tear that had to fall from my eyes,
And everyday I wondered how I'd get through the night,
Every change, life has thrown me,
I'm thankful, for every break in my heart,
I'm grateful, for every scar,
Some pages turned,
Some bridges burned,
But there were lessons learned.

There's mistakes that I have made,
Some chances I just threw away,
Some roads,
I never should have taken,
Been some signs I didn't see,
Hearts that I hurt needlessly,
Some wounds,
That I wish I could have one more chance to mend,
But it don't make no difference,
The past can't be rewritten,
You get the life you're given,
Oh, some pages turned,
Some bridges burned,
But there were,
Lessons learned.

And every tear that had to fall from my eyes,
And everyday I wondered how I'd get through the night,
Every change, life has thrown me,
I'm thankful, for every break in my heart,
I'm grateful, for every scar,
Some pages turned,
Some bridges burned,
But there were lessons learned.

And all the things that break you,
Are the things that make you strong!
You can't change the past,
Cause it's gone.
And you just gotta move on,
Because it's all
Lessons learned.

And every tear that had to fall from my eyes,
From everyday I wondered how I'd get through the night,
From every change, life has thrown me.
I'm thankful, for every break in my heart,
I'm grateful, for every scar,
Some pages turned,
Some bridges burned,
But there were lessons learned,
Oh, some pages turned,
Some bridges burned,
But there were lessons learned,
Lessons learned.
Lessons learned.

No comments: