Monday, April 02, 2012

Jury Duty

So I had jury duty today.  This is first time I’ve actually gotten through the entire process before getting dismissed at the end of the day.  I’ve received about 7 or 8 notices throughout the years and only twice (before today) have I actually appeared in the jury pool.  The first time, I was dismissed before any jurors were called to a courtroom and the second time I was postponed since I was taking students to the state tournament during the potential trial.  Today, however, I actually got to witness the process of questioning the jurors and it wasn’t really like I imagined.  I thought that they individually asked jurors different questions, but mostly it was the lawyers making speeches and asking for general agreements and then asked for specific dissentions.  I stayed quiet though one of the questioning attorneys noticed that I mouthed the words “preponderance of evidence” when he was asking how civil cases are decided by jurors.  But I was number 24 out of 32 and wasn’t selected.  The last person selected was around number 20 or 21.  I think it would have been interesting to serve on a jury, but am kind of glad that I don’t have to give up my week at school.  It’s going to be a crazy week.

I don’t know if Matt and I are going to get to go back to Canyon for Easter.  The person that I thought would be able to pet/house sit can’t do it now and I don’t have anyone else.  I will try to see if I can find someone at school, but I don’t know that I will be able to.  I’m going to be really disappointed if I don’t get to go back home.  It’s not so much missing the city, but I really wanted to go back to my church and see some of my friends.  And of course I wanted to get a meat burrito grande at Taco Villa. 

I used the community pool for the first time this spring.  I really need to go more often and get my stamina up.  I was winded after one lap down and back.  Matt is here watching the basketball game and I’m sulking about not getting to go to Canyon – maybe.  I guess the glass is half empty at the moment. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Consider using a pet sitter. Initially I didn't like the idea of a stranger coming in my house, but now that I am established with someone I use her all the time when I go out of town. If you are established with a vet there call and ask them if they know of a pet sitter. Even if you aren't established with a vet call a couple of offices in your area and ask. Often they have a client who is also a pet sitter that they recommend. You can also Google "pet sitter" and your city and find someone who is insured.