Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Road Blocks

road_block I’ve been thinking about my friend and fellow blogger, Andrew’s, comments he made in a previous post.  I am humbled by the fact that I’m still his favorite blogger, but I also agree that we’ve both been through a lot in the several years that we’ve been blogging and have managed to do well in spite of everything. 

I started blogging in May of 2004 thanks to my friend Patrick who I briefly dated around that time.  I was newly divorced and playing the field a bit in terms of dating.  It seems like such a long time ago.  I have had many ups and downs in that time in addition to facing several road blocks along the way.  I think, however, that as annoying, frustrating, or hurtful road blocks may seem at the time, sometimes they help us move in a better direction. 

The many dating fiascos I encountered in the last eight years have taught me to not settle, to know what is important in a relationship, and to trust my instincts.  If I hadn’t dated Marty, I probably wouldn’t have become Catholic and therefore, may not have ever met Matt.  Having kissed the few frogs along the way, I realize what a gem I’ve found in Matt.  He is definitely a keeper. 

If hadn’t needed health insurance, I wouldn’t have gone back to teaching.  If I hadn’t gone back to teaching, I would probably have not pursued my library degree.  In spite of the frustrations I found in teaching, it ultimately lead to the career that has been my calling. 

When the going got tough from time to time, I often fantasized about starting over in a new city – running away from home so to speak.  I never found the courage to actually go through with it.  But if the state budget cuts hadn’t taken away my plan to become the librarian back in Hereford, I never would have moved to San Antonio where I finally found the right job, the right city, and the right man. 

So perhaps Andrew is right that I’ve reinvented myself.  I started as a struggling single parent trying to figure out the rules of dating again and living the small town life.  Now, I’ve moved to a big city (though with a small town “feel”), changed careers, and finally found love the way it is supposed be.  Oh, and now I’m a basketball fan, too.  While life is not completely perfect here – I still haven’t really found a “home” church and it’s kind of tough financially right now, I have to say that life is pretty good overall.

2 comments:

Leann said...

Isn't it amazing to look back and see the transitions and growth? If anyone had ever told us.........

Anonymous said...

Andrew's words were really kind and truthful! I really admire your choice to move and pursue what you really wanted. I'm very happy that you've found someone you like and have a job that you enjoy (most of the time - except for testing:P) ) these things are really wonderful!
jan