Saturday, July 21, 2012

Too Much to Tell

I know I haven’t posted in a while.  It has been a crazy week full of good and bad news.  First the bad:

While in Boston, I found out that the speech teacher that I worked with at Hereford passed away suddenly.  She was the one that helped me get the job there and I took over the speech team.  She retired a few years later, but she had been a great mentor.  I couldn’t go to her funeral because it was held the day after I got back from Boston and I couldn’t get there in time.  I sent a plant instead.  Just a week before that, another speech teacher friend lost her mother.  So after getting back from Boston I went to Scrabble club.  That night I got a call from my friend Pam back home and she said that her daughter Kami was in the hospital.  They were getting in the car to leave and go to the doctor when she just stopped breathing.  Paramedics came and revived her in the ambulance, but she had gone several minutes without oxygen.  Kami has suffered from cystic fibrosis all her life. 

I had been thinking about making a trip back up there to sign paperwork on selling the house in Canyon and that cinched it for me.  So for some good news – my uncle decided to forgo using a lender and we were able to speed up the process on selling the house.  I went there on Monday and signed my paperwork and got a check for the profit.  While there I visited my friend Pam.  Kami was in a drug induced coma with hopes of stabilizing the pneumonia she had, but she was also not responsive.  They scheduled an EEG to see if she had any brain activity.  It was hard to see Kami and my friend Pam there.  She held it together better than I did. 

While back in Canyon I sat in on a director’s band rehearsal and visited with a few people from there.  I had lunch with Michael (at Taco Villa) and then had dinner with my friends Kirsten and Carol.  I headed back home on Tuesday morning.  I got a text from my friend Pam after I got home and she got the report that Kami was brain dead and that they would be letting her go.  I prayed a rosary for her and decided I would make another trip for the funeral.

I came back to San Antonio because Matt had tickets to the Dukes of September concert on Wednesday.  We went to dinner and the concert which was very good.  On Thursday, I headed back out to Canyon again.  I got in around 6:00, had dinner at Taco Villa (again), and then read for a while.  The funeral was Friday morning.  It was done very well, though I cried most through of it.  Luckily I took my own box of tissues with me.  I went to the burial in Panhandle and visited with Pam for a little while before I headed back.  It was a very sad situation, but at least her daughter is no longer suffering with such a horrible disease.  I got in a little after 10:00 last night and I’ve had enough driving for a while. 

In other news… I may not completely suck at Scrabble.  I competed in a local tournament last weekend and I came in 2nd place in my division.  I also had the high game score for the division as well with a score of 452.  I walked away with $35. 

I’m also finally going house hunting on Monday.  I hope I find something soon.  I would like to be moved before the end of August if possible. That may be pushing it, but I can always hope. 

No comments: