Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dog Tired

I don't know where that expression came from and I feel more tired than probably dogs generally feel at the moment. We walked ALL day today. First after only 6 hours of sleep I got up and got ready to go to church. I left around 7:35 Vegas time and went to the 8:00 service at a church about three miles away. It was a decent service and was thankfully short. Then we left around 10:30 to go to registration. That didn't take too long and then we drove over to the strip. We again parked at the MGM grand and then went across to New York, New York for lunch. They have a neat area with a bunch of small eating places so we all found something to eat. Then we walked forever. It was blazing hot and I almost died from heat exhaustion. (O.k. maybe a slight exaggeration, but it was probably 114 degrees today.) I did wear sunscreen so I don't think I burned. We walked to the Venetian and got tickets to see Phantom of the Opera. We're gambling a bit by assuming that none of my kids makes it to finals at Nationals. But hey - it's Vegas - I guess I'll take the bet. The tickets were $76 for crappy seats, but I've heard good things about the show so hopefully it will be worth it. We then went to the forum shops at Cesar's Palace and walked even more. By then it was getting to be 5-6 p.m. and I still hadn't had the chance to ride the rollercoaster that I've been waiting years to ride. So then we walked AGAIN to the bus stop that was only about a mile away and then took the bus to the Sahara - getting off one stop too early causing us to walk even MORE. But finally I made it to the Nascar cafe and was able to get my $10 ride in. It was a very good ride despite the over-the-shoulder restraints. Then we crossed the street and took the bus back to the MGM and walked the additional mile and a half to the car. We left the strip around 7:30 and then made a run to the schools where the competitions would be held. It was easy to find and took about 15-30 minutes from the hotel but I'm concerned about parking in the morning. There's only a small lot since they are middle/junior high schools and I have a feeling that a lot more cars will be there. So we're going to leave a bit early and try to get a spot.
Well, that's about all I can handle this evening - I'm calling it a night.

2 comments:

Terri said...

sheesh you are making me tired just reading about all that walking! What about the roller coasters at NY NY and Stratosphere? I'm very excited for my next trip to LV in Nov! I just can't believe they'd have competitions at LV for high schoolers? Well it does sound like its a bit out of the strip right? love vegas though!

Anonymous said...

So you went hiking? Fine to see that you enjoyed the roller-coaster. I would never ever sit into one of that machines.