Monday, August 22, 2011

So far so good

I have to say that so far, I really enjoy being a librarian.  Today was the first day of school with students.  Normally I would have not slept last night and been worried about everything.  I would have been prepping for lessons and not felt ready.  Instead, I went to bed and slept.  I didn’t worry about my first day.  I knew that I had things to do, but didn’t fret over it.  I got to school around 7:45.  My day officially starts at 8:00.  Class begins at 8:45.  I had plenty to do today.  I handed out equipment, got textbooks ready to deliver, created a textbook form, sorted magazines, scanned calculators, solved technical issues – I had enough to keep me busy.  The middle school students are really cute and small.  It’s certainly a change from high school.  I also have to say that I think school uniforms are a good idea.  Student have to wear khaki pants or shorts (not too short) with a purple or white shirt. 

I’ve pretty much been left to my own devices in the library thus far.  I still have yet to have a long visit with the principal.  I did send her questions on Friday and she answered them on Sunday.  I caught her briefly today to ask her about the textbook form I created.  I don’t know if it is a sign of good faith in me or if she is still just overwhelmed.  She did thank me for being patient with her.  I think that’s a first for me. 

I have one thing hanging over my head at the moment and I’m going to try to get out from under it as soon as I can.  I still have to help finish last year’s yearbook.  I could be a jerk and tell the new adviser that it’s her problem, but I’m not like that.  So I’ve got to spend every evening for another week or two getting that done. 

On the good news front, my keys have been found!  They were in Josh’s car and he found them when he was getting ready to head back to college.  So that is a relief.  Now if I could find my camera that I’ve lost.  I guess you can’t really expect to move across the state and not lose anything. 

I finally found out when payday is.  I thought it was going to be last week, but it is the 4th Wednesday each month so it will be this week.  I could really use the money.  Once I get all my final bills paid from the other house, I’m thinking of buying the Adobe Creative Suite.  I can get the teacher/student version for a little over $400 and it includes all the major Adobe products – namely Photoshop, InDesign, and Dreamweaver. 

Well, I guess I’ve procrastinated enough.  Got to get a little work done tonight. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to learn that your keys resurfaced!
Hey - you are the librarian now!