Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Textbook Nightmare

I literally wore myself out today.  I spent almost all day moving textbooks from one place to another.  I have a textbook storage room where the books are “supposed” to be stored, but it was full of a bunch of other stuff that I had to get out of there first.  It’s somewhat slow going, but I’m making progress.  It is just a bit nightmarish in that there is such a volume of stuff to sort, move, and pack.  My body was tired and sore by the end of the day.  For the first time I actually left school at 4:30 rather than staying until 5:00 or later.  I wanted to get out early so I could get to the store as I was running out of groceries.  It’s so hot here it’s almost impossible to get home after getting frozen items without them defrosting.  And I only live 5 minutes from the store. 

I have an invitation to sit in the first rehearsal with the San Antonio symphonic band next Tuesday.  That is exciting.  I’m a little nervous though.  I’m not sure what caliber the band is and if I’m going to be good enough.  I am a decent player, but certainly not exceptional.  But if I can play with the band that would be another social opportunity for me here.  So I guess we’ll see how it goes. 

To answer Mago’s question in his comment – I have finally been able to talk with the principal.  She came to visit with me at the end of last week.  I was able to ask her some questions and everything is going fine.  She’s been good about being flexible with the opening of the library.  So in spite of the busy workload right now, I enjoy being where I am and doing what I’m doing.  The textbook thing will be out of the way soon and then I can focus on being a librarian. 


Anonymous said...

Good luck with the band - I am sure they will be happy to have you join in!

Andrew said...

Look in the mirror and you will see a resourceful and incredible woman. It has been a joy reading about your new life as a librarian. I hope the textbooks ordeal fades and you can start doing real library type stuff.