Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Debt Hell

I wonder if I will ever break free of my exe's bad credit issues. I hate the fact that because I made a bad decision in marrying him, and established joint credit with him that I am now suffering financially because of it. Actually I'm doing ok financially. I can pay all my bills have a little left over each month. I did need, however, a little extra cash for my upcoming vacation. I'd been holding out for two more income tax refund checks that have yet to appear in my mailbox. I did get one of them several weeks back which is why I was counting on this trip to begin with. I've already paid $550 for the registration and another $245 for a hotel for part of the trip. Given this, I'm not going to not go.
So I head to my trusty credit union to inquire about a loan. I have taken out numerous loans with them before and have always paid them back. (And on time except for one occasion where the funds did not appear at the proper time)
But because I have a foreclosure (due to the divorce) and am linked to a couple of joint accounts with me ex, all is not well in financial world. Generally a decision for a loan can be made within a reasonable visit of about 30 minutes. This time she has to take the time to work on it and perhaps take it to committee. This does not sound good. Worst case scenario, my dad will co-sign for me, but the point is to be able to do this on my own and not let me ex continue to interfere in my life. I think it will be some time before I can truly break free from his debt that hangs over my head.

No comments: