Saturday, June 05, 2004

Heading Home

Well, it's been a long trip and this will be nothing compared to the trip I'm taking in a week and a half. I really enjoyed going to Six Flags Great Adventure. I got several good rollercoaster rides in and it was great!! I didn't ride all of them, but that just means I'm going to have to come back to the park another time. On Wednesday, dad took us around Hammond, to a farm that had been in our family, and then to see my 2nd cousin Marcia. I know that Josh was bored out of his mind, but I enjoyed hearing stories of my dad when he was a kid and about how he and my mom had met. I really, really enjoyed the town of Plymouth Indiana. It was so clean and quaint. That's a place I could live. (If it weren't for the harsh winters up north)
Yesterday we went to the science musuem which was really interesting, but also quite expensive. First you had to pay $12 for parking. $15 a person for entrance and an omnimax show, then another $20 for lunch, then $18 for souvenirs. No wonder I'm coming home completely broke.
I have to rant a little bit about traffic. I HATE rush hour(s) in Chicago. Granted we should have timed our departure a little better, but that was a bit offset by the fact that the streets are confusing and we got lost leaving the museum and it took us 45 min just to get to the expressway. By that time rush hour had set in. And it SUCKED. Did I mention I didn't like it at all? Somehow we ended up driving through what I would term the Ghetto of Chicago and we didn't fit in at all. We arrived at my aunt Linda's house safely last night, however. Which brings me to my next gripe.
Dad and Carol Ann made plans to go to Wisconsin on Thurs. to see the house on the rock and our plans were to meet up in Cedar Rapids at aunt Linda's house and head home from there. Well, dad doesn't quite make it and calls to say he's staying in Dubuque for the night and he'll get there some time tomorrow and that since we had the car we could even drive ourselves home and he could stay an extra day or something. Aaarrrgggghhhh. If would have known that before being within an hour of my aunt's house, I would have headed straight back from Chicago. And I'm not looking forward to a sixteen hour drive today. (well, we might have to stop for the night) But if we wait on my dad, who knows when we'll get home. I'd rather drive and get home sometime Sunday afternoon rather than late, late on Sunday evening, IF we even got back then. I appreciate the fact that my dad is retired, but these wishy-washy decisions are very frustrating.
Well, I better get on the road if we're to get back home.

No comments: