Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Perception

My classes are learning about intrapersonal communication (communication within oneself) and have discussed perception. I had them complete the Johari window (same as this blog) for themselves. I also had them give me their list of words describing me. A few things did not surprise me, but several things did. Here is my students perception of me:

42% Intelligent, Helpful
35% Friendly, Knowledgeable
33% Organized (Ha! I have them fooled!)
31% Patient (Go ahead and laugh Richard)
29% Kind
27% Clever
25% Logical, Wise
23% Serious, Cheerful, Mature
19% Caring, Happy
17% Independent, Calm, Trustworthy
15% Religious

The rest of the words get in to multiple ties. I guess I am a little surprised that they see me as friendly, cheerful, and happy. It's not that I'm not those things, but I am surprised that it seems to be coming through more. But perhaps not. I do know the reasons why I have that appearance as of late and it's a good feeling. What surprises me is that my student's perception of myself is quite a bit different than my own perception. I have always considered myself introverted, shy, and complex. But I guess it all has to do with the roles we play in different situations.

But I also know that I have changed a great deal over the past year. In the past, I would have been quite surprised to find that others consider me to be patient. It has not been a strong suit for me. Now I do find myself with much more patience. Little things don't bother me like they used to. I am also not holding grudges... though I admit I still hold on to that little one regarding the boyfriend that dumped me the day after prom. But I have learned to let go of so many things that a huge weight has been lifted from my heart.

There are so many factors involved in these changes. Most I think are from my choice to get involved in church again. But other factors have played a part as well. My relationship with Marty, though a little on the painful side, helped me a great deal. Blogging has been therapeutic. Changing careers has had an impact by staying so busy that I don't have time to worry like I used to.

All in all, I enjoyed learning what my students think of me. It was quite refreshing.

No comments: