Friday, September 02, 2011

Always something to do

I haven’t really gotten to do much as a librarian these past few weeks, but I’m finally getting to the point where I can open the library.  I have moved and packed thousands of books.  I finally have them out of the library space and in storage or boxes.  I still have several things to clear on Tuesday, but I should be able to officially open the library.  Today I was able to import the student data into the library software so I can check out books to students.  I still have to add new faculty as patrons, but there’s no rush at this point. 

I have stayed busy this entire week.  I barely even take a break for lunch.  I get home and am fairly exhausted.  But I’m not complaining.  I like staying busy and I’m happy to not be worrying about lesson plans, grading papers, and discipline issues.  It’s odd to not be able to go up after hours or on weekends to work, but perhaps it is a good thing. 

I’m looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and having the three day weekend.  Not sure what I’m going to do yet.  Probably just hang out at home and watch t.v. 

Matthew still texts me once in a while.  I think he does miss me some.  He said he might come visit in October.  Won’t hold my breath, but it would be nice to see him.  I haven’t seen Marty since he helped me get my furniture at the beginning of the month.  I might see him at the reception for our friend Brent.  He married his boyfriend Leo in Massachusetts in June and they had a reception where Leo lives (Minnesota) in July and they’re having one in Austin in a few weeks. 

I made spaghetti for dinner tonight.  It was good, but now I’m stuffed and tired.  I’m thinking of getting a pillow and just resting on the couch and watch some tv until it’s bed time.  Tomorrow morning I need to mow the lawn and do a little house cleaning.  The dogs are doing much better about not having accidents in the house while I’m gone.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

It's hard to believe all the work that you have had to do before you can even get into doing your real job. Is this standard for each school year beginning or were things at your new school just really messed up for some reason?

Your weekend sounds wonderful, doing as you please for three whole days. Especially after all that you have had to do all summer long. Enjoy, friend. :0

Anonymous said...

Good to hear the animals have settled in and I'm also glad you get to start with the librarian's work. Why did the books have to go out of the library into boxes before you could open it?
jan