Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Daily 3 - College Classes

I started college in the Fall of 1988 as a music business major.  I tried accounting twice before I decided that the "business" part was not for me.  I didn't want to be a band director and I didn't have the drive to practice and be a performance major.  I got pregnant with Josh early 1990 and after having him I decided to switch majors to speech education with a minor in English.  It took longer to graduate because of all of this but I did graduate Summa Cum Laude in May 1995.  These were some of my favorite classes:

1.  Band - even though I dropped music as my major, I stayed in band all 7 years (my last year was technically an internship).  I'm still and will always be a band geek.  I still play in a community band here in San Antonio.

2.  Persuasion - This was one of my speech classes that I really enjoyed.  We had to do a bit of persuasive speaking, but I enjoyed learning about the psychological aspects involved in persuasion. 

3.  Debate - I was dreading this class when I first signed up for it because I had never understood how debate works and didn't think I would do well with it.  The first time I nailed someone during cross-examination, I was hooked.  I loved the logic of debate.  I think if I hadn't become a teacher I might have considered getting involved in law.  It's hard to win an argument with me if you don't have evidence (or good logic) to back up your claims.


No comments: