Thursday, July 11, 2019

Daily 3 - My Library

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days.  I left on Tuesday morning to drive up to Austin to attend a short library conference.  I attended a meeting at 11:00, went to lunch with some people from SA, then found out my session after lunch had been canceled.  I booked a hotel via Priceline so I headed up there to check in.  I had dinner with Marty.  (Yes, THAT Marty - ex-boyfriend, Marty)  We had a nice time catching up and he even paid for dinner.  Yes, I told my husband that I was having dinner with him and he was perfectly fine about it.  On Wednesday, I attended two other sessions and was able to leave early and get back to SA by 2:30 or so.  I woke up early that day so I ended up taking a nap. 

This morning I headed up to my school to work in my library.  I've been thinking about rearranging it (again) and wanted to get that worked out.  Last year, I ditched the Dewey Decimal system and genrefied my entire collection.  It's mostly bookstore-like now.  If you want books on War, there's a section for that. 

I spent a few hours there and today's daily three are the three things I love about my library:

1.  It's spacious.  There's a lot of room for a high school library with about 12,500 books, 15 tables, comfy chairs, and more.

2.  My new comfy chairs.  I got a grant last year for comfortable seating in the library.  It was called "Seating for Reading" in hopes that it would encourage more students to curl up with a book.  I got 16 new chairs in the grant and they are spread out in the library.  Last year I had to be the "Chair Police" and kick students out of the chairs if they weren't reading.  Now that I've submitted my grant results, I'll let them use them as needed. 

3.  Games.  I have multiple games available for check out in the library.  Some I bought with my own money, several came from a Donor's Choose grant.  Students love to play games during lunch and I check out the games so it helps with my circulation statistics.


No comments: