Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Daily 3 - Best Friends

So I've never been one to have a lot of close friends.  It was easier in high school but as an adult, I've found that becoming close friends with someone is more difficult - especially after moving to a brand new city.  I developed many acquaintances but no really close friends that I call up and shoot the breeze with.  One of my Scrabble friends, however, just moved from Austin to San Antonio and we've been doing stuff together so there's a closer friendship in the making.  Today's daily three are my three closest and longest friends.

1.  Kirsten - I've known Kirsten since we were probably toddlers.  My aunt and uncle were friends of her parents.  I spent many summers visiting my aunt and got to know Kirsten.  Starting in 7th grade we were in the same school and have been friends ever since.  She is a music professor in Nacogdoches and probably the smartest person I know.

2.  Kim - Kim and I met in the 9th grade at Valleyview Junior High.  She commented on my suspenders I was wearing and just started talking.  She was also in band so we became fast friends.  She moved away after (or maybe during) our sophomore year, but we stayed in touch through letters and phone.  I visited her in Mississippi during college and was in her wedding.  She was in both of my weddings. 

3.  Pam - We met while working my first teaching job at Valleyview.  She sent me a very nice thank you note for something at school and we chatted after school in the teacher's lounge one day.  We commiserated with each other about relationships, raising kids, teaching, etc.  She left Valleyview the next year but I encouraged her to take a job at another middle school doing yearbook and speech (which is what I taught) - she has been there ever since.  She's had a rough life - her daughter had cystic fibrosis and died several years ago.  Her dad died in a car accident before then and she had a nephew that was killed in a work accident.  I don't know how she has gotten through it all but I've tried to be there for her. 

All three of these ladies were in both of my weddings along with my cousin, Amanda.  The only person that was also in my first wedding was my former best friend Robin.  I wrote a post about that several years ago.  Still never figured out what went wrong there, but I've moved on from it. 

1 comment:

Jan said...

I remember going to a Kenny Rogers concert a few years ago and he sang a song about you can't make old friends...One of my nearest and dearest is my third-grade boyfriend who ended up buying his grandparents house, two doors up from my mom, so we see each other frequently.

Next oldest is my 5th grade friend, Cheryl, who moved to Texas after college. We still visit

Those are the top two...a few qualify as tied-for-third.

Since I'm now 68, most of then qualify for antiques!