Monday, October 18, 2004

Is Something Wrong With Me

I know I have high expectations. I guess I've always had that. So, yes, sometimes I'm disappointed when things don't go for me as expected. I get something in my head thinking that someone will react a certain way when I've done something and when they don't it's a let down. Why do I do this?
I'm here in Connecticut. Got in on time on Saturday. Marty was late meeting me. I was disappointed that he wasn't there (bad Jennifer thinking mmmm... this is familar, but tried to change my tune when he did show up with a dozen roses). So I got my first bunch of flowers from Marty and they're gorgeous. And they're opening up beautifully.. which is amazing because roses I've gotten in the past tend to just wilt immediately. I'll post a picture of them later.
Yesterday we went to Six Flags New England. It was great. Two really good coasters and I was very impressed by the fact that though they still intimidate Marty, he willingly got on them and rode them with me. We played scrabble last night and I whipped him mercilessly, but did not rub that fact in and gave him a massage afterwards.
So today he had to go to work. I slept in. I watched the entire last season of Sex and the City as he has HBO on demand. Cried my eyes out. Then decided to be productive. Took a shower. Did some laundry. Cleaned the house. Did some dishes. When we were planning this trip, Marty would joke with me that I didn't need much clothes. That I just needed to stay naked most of the time. I joked that he probably wanted me to meet him at the door naked with a Martini when he got home from work. He said, no, make it a screwdriver instead. So today I basically did just that. I thought that I would get a better reaction than what I did. I had on one of his oxford shirts on (unbuttoned) waiting on the couch with a screwdriver. I knew we didn't have time for sex as we needed to go pick up my rental car, but what I got was "That's nice, but you need to get dressed so we can go get your car." And that upset me. I knew we wouldn't just jump on the bed and have a quickie, but I thought at least I'd a get a 'wow... I like that.. very nice...' or something. There was no drooling or anything. Maybe it's because I've gained 4 pounds or something...I don't know... but despite my self-esteem issues I've had in dealing with my body, generally when I've met a man naked at the door or something, I get a little something more than what I got today. I know he's missing the romance gene... but I figured he was at least a typical male that would have had a better reaction than what he did. But there I go again... figuring... and assuming again. So do I keep trying or give up on the whole romantic gesture thing? Marty keeps telling me that he's pretty much wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) and I wonder if I can accept that. I KNOW better than to try to change anyone. That backfired badly with Richard. But I'm also the type of person that really needs romance. And I know he's trying, but he probably can never meet my standards on that. So I guess I have to either let go of my wishful thinking and accept him completely as he is now or continue to be disappointed. I don't mean to be this way. But I guess one of us is going to have to change a little.

1 comment:

Summer said...

I have a lot of experience with the type of experiences that you have described. First of all I want to say that nothing is wrong with you. Then I want to say that if something doesn't feel quite right, then it probably isn't. You're not going to change him, you shouldn't have to change yourself and maybe what you see isn't exactly what you want to get. Trust me on this. If someone throws a stone at you then the rock isn't far behind.