Thursday, October 07, 2004

Neurotic Dog

I have a neurotic dog. First, let me explain that I live in the Texas panhandle. That means from time to time we have Thunderstorms. We've had them for years. My dog, Roo, all of a sudden is afraid of them. Mind you that I've had Roo for about 3 years. He usually sleeps with me. Generally he curls up at the foot of the bed and he's happy. Well, last night a thunderstorm rolled in around 4:30. Yes, 4:30 A.M. And Roo gets completely psycho. He's shaking and whining. My other dog Max is mildly freaking by scratching on my son's door. I try get both of them in bed and calm them down to no avail. I realize I'm not going to get to sleep any more for a while. So I get up. Come read some blogs. Watch t.v. Wait for the storm to die down.
This is a recent thing with Roo. He's never been this bezerk before. The storm died down around 6:30 so I go get back in bed. When Josh gets up I tell him if it's still raining when he needs to leave I'd take him to school. (He usually walks since it's just a few blocks away)
So I get up again around 7:45 to take Josh to school. It's not really raining, but there's still a lot of water on the ground. Maybe it's the kid in me, but I still love it when I drive through a big puddle of water with my car and it splashes really big on both sides. The big "whoosh" and spray of water. Sometimes it's just the little things.
Well, it's now 8:07 a.m. and I'm going back to bed. Thankfully today my first appointment isn't until 1:00.

1 comment:

Bill Dyckns said...

I arrived here through Prison Pete's site. I loved your "List". My dog, Abby, gets behind my chair when it thunders. it doesn't stop there. She can't stay in one place. Then she'll trot (with her head down) back into the shower stall. Lay down, get up, trot back behind my chair (if I'm in it) and repeats the routine. I try to calm her, hold her, speaking to her but she has to keep on the move. Breaks my heart, really. I hate it when it's thundering and I'm at work.
Just had to add my 3 cents. BTW...Ramming those toes is hell huh? Can't do a thing except wait for it to heal. Meanwhile ya have to hobble around like your legs broken or something.