Friday, September 24, 2004

Insurance Woes

For about a year now, I've been without health insurance. I guess I'm taking a gamble. So far Josh and I have been lucky and have not had any medical issues. But I know I need to get some insurance soon. Because my boss is an independent sales rep, my job doesn't have insurance. When I was teaching, I had really good insurance. And when I was married, I had good insurance. Now I'm pretty limited on what I can get being an average individual person. So far it looks like I can only get insurance with some kind of deductible, possibly a co-pay anywhere from $25-45, plus it doesn't cover preventive care, and after the co-pay it will only pay 80% up to $10,000. So worst case scenario if something tragic happens, I still have to pay almost $3000 depending on the deductible amount. This includes a monthly premium of about $300 or more.
So as long as my health is relatively good, I can go to a doctor for basic sickness, but any kind of tests etc, are going to be subject to the deductible. So this means if I want to have a yearly OB-GYN checkup, I have to pay for it. And that's something that I feel is necessary given the genes in my family. Both my mother and sister had a hysterectomy. I figure for me it's just a matter of time. And if I don't go ahead and get covered, that's when I'll need it.
If I want to take a bigger risk and have a lower monthly premium and get insurance to cover only something major, I could do that. But that would not cover any basic physician visits. It only covers hospitalization or treatment for a major illness. But it would cost a lot more out of my pocket if something happens.
And then when you look at all the plans between different types of coverage and different companies, it just makes your head spin.
I could quit my job and go back to teaching and be completely miserable.
I could marry Marty and be under his insurance. But that's not a reason to get married. Though I do love him and would marry him for love.
As bad as things were being on welfare when I was pregnant, at least my medical expenses were covered.
And now I make too much money for that. It sure doesn't pay to have a good job sometimes.
And on top of all this, I'm still going to need to pay for Josh to have some counseling.
Being an adult sucks.

No comments: