Thursday, January 12, 2006

Friends

I find myself wanting to write but often can't think of anything to write about. In my other blog I have just the opposite problem. I have things I want to write about but seem to be stuck in getting the actual thoughts down. Tonight I decided to seek out a journaling prompt. I went to a site called journalsparks and decided to give it a whirl. I went to the Thursday spot and chose the following prompt: When was the last time you made a new friend?

I would have to say that the last "friend" I've met is my RCIA sponsor, Carol. You have to understand that people I consider friends are those I share things with. Those that are special to me. I have met many new people as I have started working at a new school and in going to church, but I consider them acquaintances. But Carol has become my friend and I am very thankful for her. I laugh at myself because I was so nervous in calling her the first time in regard to my interest in the Church. But we talked for probably an hour. She has been so wonderful to me and she is a blessing in my life.

I am also one of those people that doesn't have many friends in some respects... and I guess I just don't make them very easily or perhaps it's still my shyness. But once a person becomes my friend, they will always be my friend. Even my ex-boyfriends and my ex-husband have remained friends to me. I still consider Marty a friend although he has chosen to not have much contact with me. It hurts, but it is his choice. My door is always open for him, but it is up to him to make contact if he wants to. I have made the effort several times, but there's only so much I can do. I don't know the whys and probably never will, but that is o.k. I am friends with his sister-in-law and she thought it could be because he was hurting. I don't know. But I am still praying for him. That's all I can do. I pray for his peace and happiness. I hope he finds it.
And yes, I've mentioned him again. He was the closest thing to my best friend I've probably ever had and so how can I not mention him in a post about friends?

I don't have much in the way of friends that I hang out with around here. Many of my friends either live far away (or they're far away and simply online friends like Grumpy and Summer). My friend Pam is probably the only one here I ever really go out with. Not that she or I have time or money for such things lately.

It's funny how people come in and out of our lives. My friend Stephanie and I carpool together. We went to high school together, but weren't friends in high school. She was a year older than me. After I had Josh though, my aunt mentioned her and said that she had a daughter that was Josh's age. And we got together as single parents. We also had another friend named Jenny that had a daughter that was a year older than our kids. But we were all single and bonded for a while. Later we drifted apart as both of them went their ways and moved to other areas. Years later Stephanie's daughter came home from school in the 6th grade and told her she had a new boyfriend and his name was Josh. Josh told me about his new girlfriend. They didn't "date" very long but they remained good friends. When I took the job in Hereford they made sure Stephanie and I were brought back together as friends. Stephanie called me last night because her daughter mentioned another new friend who just so happened to be Jenny's daughter. So now we're going to get together some time with all our kids and just catch up on things.

I don't know always why we end up with certain people in our lives, but I am sure there's always a reason for it. Even those we long to have in our lives again and can't and those we perhaps have not appreciated have played a role in our development. If you haven't read the book The Five People You Meet in Heaven, you must. Sometimes it's people that may seem very insignificant at the time that have a great impact.

Having friends is important and although I don't always tell them like I should I do appreciate them. I may not ever have a plethora of friends, but those I do have are true and cherished.

No comments: