Sunday, February 03, 2008

Shot Show (Year 3)

Well, I'm here at the shot show again. You'd be amazed at the kind of stuff you see here. It is really kind of odd to be in this place as I have never even shot a gun. I'm not sure why my uncle asks me to come every year. The only thing I really do is handle the money and run credit cards. I know very little about his products other than they are accessories for military type guns. Now, I'm not going to get into debates about guns and shooting and such things being bad or good. I think that people do have the right to own guns and if shooting and hunting is their hobby, so be it. From what it seems, it can be a very expensive hobby. I would never go hunting. Ever. I couldn't kill another animal. Well... enough of that.

We (my brother and another person from Canyon) arrived around noon yesterday which was actually around 2:00 Texas time. I was starving by then. I helped organize the back room of sorts. I ate lunch about an hour and a half later. It was a taco salad that cost $8.25. Everything is so expensive at these shows. Luckily, my uncle pays for everything like that. Finally the show ended at 5:30 Vegas time and we headed over to the hotel. We only had a truck with a back seat so three of the people in our party of eight had to ride in the back of the truck. Although the hotel was only about a mile and a half away, it took at least 15 minutes to get there. I checked in and dropped my bags off. The driver went ahead and dropped the rest of the group at the restaurant and then came back to pick us up.

We ate at the Hard Rock cafe last night. I was telling someone how I had only eaten at a Hard Rock cafe once before which was in New Orleans in 1989. I was flabbergasted back then by the price of a hamburger which was around $7.00. Now the burgers are $11.50. (I did have the burger and could only finish half of it.) After dinner I checked out the gift shop and decided to get Josh a souvenir. I called him first because he can be very particular and I wanted to make sure that if I got him a Hard Rock shirt that he would wear it. So I bought him a shirt and we headed back to the hotel. The others were going to go to the casino, but I was so exhausted I decided to decline. This year, I'm staying with two other girls and since I was the last one to arrive, I was relegated to the pull out sofa. I could have shared a bed, but I like to be able to spread out and move as I sleep. I asked the front desk for extra pillows and bedding when I came in after dinner. I went downstairs to give my brother some things that had been packed in my bag and when I went back up, they had brought my pillows, but no bedding. Finally I called down to the front desk to ask about the bedding again and they said they would send someone up again. I finally got the sheets and blanket about 10 minutes later. I made the bed, changed into my pj's and was in bed a little after 10:00 Vegas time. (Midnight Texas time)

I had plans to go to church this morning at 8:00 but it didn't quite work out that way. We had breakfast at the hotel (French toast, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns) and then headed to the show, but was running really behind. Traffic was crawling and it took actually 30 minutes to get to the show because of that and parking. I was going to go to the 9:30 service instead, but still didn't make it then. I finally connected to the internet and decided I'd just go to the 12:30 service. The church was about 1/2 a mile away from the convention center so I decided to walk. It took me about 15 minutes. The Mass was o.k. but I'm such a homebody that I just couldn't really get into it since it wasn't my church at home. It was very interestingly designed in triangular shapes. You can tell from the large mural on the front wall that it was designed in the 60's.

When I left the church, the wind was really picking up and it was sprinkling. I went to Walgreens to get some items we needed for the show and then walked back. Now I'm just taking it easy until it's time to go. I figured it would be clearing out by now with it being Superbowl Sunday and all. I guess these guys are more die hard about their guns instead of football. I'm not sure what the plans are for tonight, but I might try my luck with some slots just to say that I did gamble a little while here in Vegas. Don't worry... I never spend too much. I think $20 is my maximum that I can afford to lose. (Or as my brother puts it... a donation to the casino.) Well, I think I've written enough. I had to catch up since I didn't post yesterday. I'll connect again tomorrow and post at least once more while I'm here. I don't know about Tuesday, though. I'll be traveling most of the day.

No comments: