Friday, January 01, 2010

Annual Year in Review Meme

I guess it's officially a tradition to do this meme. I'm a day late but you can read the 2008, 2007, 2005, and 2004 versions if you're interested. I didn't do it in 2006 but briefly posted. Here's the 2009 Year in Review. Feel free to do this on your blog as well.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?

Taught high school English classes which was/is very frustrating for me. I don't know if when I was in college I had to have a secondary teaching field or if I thought it would make me more marketable, but I regret having my English certification. It's not all bad, but the reason why I gave up my interp and debate classes was to LIGHTEN my schedule this year. Teaching English is probably worse because of having to create new lesson plans and teaching standard kids who could care less about anything I am teaching.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I still try not to make resolutions. I never keep them. I do want to lose weight this year but I'm not going to be resolute about it right now. I'll lose it when I'm ready to do something about it.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My cousin and her husband had their "surprise" baby - Conan.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no.

5. What countries did you visit?

That's as funny this year as it was last year. No countries. New place was Birmingham, Alabama for me this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

A date. New floors.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Spring break - mid march when Marty and I broke up yet again. I wonder if there will be a year when I don't mention Marty. I turned 40 this year and it came and went with hardly even a whisper.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Maintaining my sanity. Finishing the 2009 yearbook before Christmas. Buying a new car.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Prayer life still isn't where it should be - but I'm starting to read through the Bible this year.

10. What was the best thing you bought?

My new Toyota Prius. I love the car and the money I'm saving on gas.

11. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Josh was accepted into the composition program at SFA - he was only one out of two accepted this year from eight that applied. He made a 4.0 his first semester and is having an amazing time in college.

12. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted?

Marty's ex-wife. I simply cannot stand women who manipulate men for their own gain and give them nothing in return - but simply use them. She doesn't want to be with him, but she wants him to come running every time she's in trouble.

13. What song will always remind you of 2009?

Over My Head by the Fray

14. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Same as last year - reading for pleasure, cleaning my house, and "fun" things like riding coasters - though I did get to an event this year.

15. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Worrying over things in which I have no control.

16. Did you fall in love in 2009?

Not really. I have always loved Marty and always will in some way and I was still in love with him when we were dating at the beginning of the year. I did have the brief "interest" this year that I met from eharmony which turned out to be a mistake. I need to remind myself to trust my instincts more.

17. What was your favorite TV program?

Monk - very sad that the show ended. Psych, Mythbusters, House Hunters

18. What was the best book you read?

Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow was probably the best. I only read a few books this year aside from grad school textbooks. I have several books that I bought that are still unread.

19. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying?

More time, not teaching English, not having yet another break up with Marty. Riding more coasters, having a clean house.

20. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

I still have no fashion sense. If it is relatively clean, comfortable and works for this decade, I'm good with it.

21. What kept you sane?

Church. God has to be intervening because there were moments that I probably should have completely lost it this year.

22. Who did you miss?

Josh - gone to college at the end of August. Marty from time to time.

23. Who was the best new person you met?

I'm not sure that I can think of anyone new that I met this year that is memorable enough to mention.

24. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2009.

Though I'm learning to say "no," I have yet to master it. The biggest lesson is realizing that I can't do it all and that something has to give.

25. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Everyone knows I'm in
Over my head
Over my head

No comments: