Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Brain Hurts

It's been one of those days. I got some devastating news in terms of our tournament today. First let me explain that one of the major necessities of our tournament is getting 150+ judges to judge the 200+ spots necessary. My students have come through well every year and we have never had much of a problem as almost all of our judges show up as expected. This year, because of the new state senate bill #9, we cannot have any volunteers on our campus (excluding parents and staff members) that have not had a criminal background check run on them. Therefore in order to get community members to judge at our tournament, they have to 1. agree to the background check and then 2. contact our personnel director to have it done which most likely means signing a form in person or mailing it in. Therefore, we have just lost the majority of our judging pool. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

My new 6th period class consists of a group of... well interesting students. I don't want to apply labels at this point, but I do have some concerns with the class. Let's put it this way. I'll be surprised if more than 50% of the class passes this semester.

I finally got my car washed today. It was in dire need. The local car wash that I use shuts down after 6:00 p.m. or if the temperature is below freezing. I came home and made a frozen pizza and then spent the evening reviewing more algebra. Now my brain is tired from factoring polynomials. I think I just need this day to end.

No comments: