Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Exhaustion

I didn’t sleep much last night.  Not sure why because I was definitely tired.  When I got home today, I just wanted to take a nap so I got in bed for a bit, but still couldn’t sleep.  I stopped fighting it and got up and made some chicken fingers and fries for dinner. 

I have lots of school work that I need to do, but I also need to get stuff done in the garage.  I think that I’m not going to sing in the Easter choir at church this year.  At first I thought we were going to sing at the Easter Vigil service which is what I usually go to, but now it’s scheduled for the 8:30 service.  If I go to the Easter Vigil service that will last until midnight, I’m not going to want to get up early to the next morning.  I will also be leaving to go to Waco that day so I will need to get rest.  I think now that I’ve made that decision, I have a sense of relief.  One less thing to deal with. 

I asked my principal today if my English students could bring mp3 players to use for a project that I’m doing with poetry.  I found a lesson on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website that incorporates a thematic link from modern music to British poetry.  I think it is a creative idea so I’m modifying it.  I thought that trying to just teach poetry would be difficult because they would have no interest, but relating it to their own music that they enjoy could make it more relevant and interesting to them.  But my principal said no to the players.  It is a campus rule that they aren’t allowed to bring them on campus so an exception cannot be made for my class – despite the fact that we are encouraged to use technology and be creative with our lessons.  So now I’ve asked him to at least allow headphones and they can bring CDs.  I’m also going to allow them to watch videos and such – even though it will bog down the network. 

I got my letter of recommendation from my assistant principal so I’m going to try to get my application in to the university tonight before I go to bed.  I guess if I’m going to get that done, I need to get started in the garage.

No comments: