Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Like a fish to water

I love swimming. I honestly can't remember the last time I went swimming. But I love it. Tonight we are in Early, Texas. We're on our way to Austin for the state UIL competition. We had dinner (a club sandwich and seasoned fries and free cake for dessert), went to Walmart (bought a Reader's Digest) and came back to the hotel. I decided to take a dip in the pool and it really was quite lovely. I used to swim all the time when I was a kid. I taught myself when I was about 4 or 5 years old. When we moved to Amarillo, we lived in an area that had a large community pool and my parents always bought me a season pass. I would go every single day in the summer. I loved the diving board, swimming laps, doing handstands under the water, and seeing how far I could go with one breath. I was the underwater swimming champion at band camp for many years. (I almost went the length of an olympic sized pool) I loved to do somersaults in the water backwards and forwards and see how many times I could go around in one breath. I dove for pennies. As an adult, I find that I rarely get the opportunity to swim any more. Most hotel pools are rather tiny and I'd really love to swim laps and have a nice bouncy diving board. Ah... such bliss.

Today was an interesting morning at school. We had a lock-down situation that wasn't a drill. A student had a fight with his mother this morning and pointed a gun at her. He left and she notified the school because of the gun. We were put in a lock-down (stay in our rooms until otherwise directed) for about 30 minutes until they arrested the student and found the gun. The gun was not on campus and was found in a nearby park in a rest room. The student was one that I had in my class last year. I'm not sure if I would have pegged him as the type, but I can't say I'm totally surprised. You can read about the story here. The lock down put us behind in leaving. We were about to leave when it happened so we were delayed for quite a while.

Well, I'm going to go take a shower and get the chlorine out of my hair and then probably call it a night. Hope all is well in your world.

3 comments:

Leann said...

I'm a waterbaby too!! I don't often get the chance unfortunately.

I'm really glad to hear the lockdown situation ended peacefully.

Terri said...

wow that's a little bit scary eh? We've had several lock down situations in the Detroit area schools as a result of the Virginia Tech situation. I wish kids would realize how serious these things are.

Susanlee said...

That is so scary!! I hope you guys do great in Austin!!