Saturday, November 17, 2007

Some sweet successes

It was another long tournament day. I was up shortly after 5:00 a.m. and left by 5:45. I arrived in Hereford around 6:15 and we left by 6:30 minus one student. One of my new students that was supposed to go to the tournament did not show. He also did not answer the phone when I called. Well, I guess he'll pay the $35 drop fee. The tournament went well. I was in charge of debate at the elementary. We started off behind, but actually caught up and ended an hour earlier than planned. My students over all did fairly well. I was surprised by a few, disappointed in some, but overall pleased. I was happy with one student that has been trying for years to be successful at something, but has not really made it. Today she placed 6th in student congress and earned her first trophy. I now have two students qualified for TFA state which is a relief. I have another that is close, but needs two more points. The team earned first place sweepstakes at the tournament so it was a pretty good day overall.

I'm really exhausted now. I could barely keep my eyes open on the way home. I'm now going to take out my contacts and call it a night. I'm going to Sunday school in the morning and then the late service at 11:15. I think I deserve a little time to sleep in.

3 comments:

Mama Llama said...

My best friend in high school was enamored with expository speaking but just had a rather high-pitched, nasal speaking voice that was not very pleasant to the ears. Her lack of success at tournaments was a constant frustration to her and the coach, and all of us felt her pain. Coach suggested getting her into student congress, and that's where she trophied almost constantly and her self-confidence and self-esteem skyrocketed. Congratulations on finding the right combination to make Magic work in your student's forensics life!

Andrew said...

I hope you've rested well last night. Just thinking of you.

Billy said...

Great job to the team! I am glad you are having a good year. I wonder why the one student couldn't go? You will have to update us.