Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Waiting Game

I decided to go ahead and go to the social security office today despite not having a death certificate. I took a copy of the newspaper announcement, Josh's birth certificate, and a copy of the paternity test just in case. I forgot one important thing, however. Jacob's social security number. So after waiting an hour listening to screaming kids, hearing profanity uttered as those leaving were not happy with their news, and people watching I was told they couldn't help me without his mother's maiden name or knowing his social. So I drove home quickly and found my file of child support information that had his social security number listed. I drove back to Amarillo and waited again. This time it only took about 30 minutes. Once I got there, they were able to get the information entered that he was deceased and then I was set up for an appointment. The first available date was Oct. 31. Well, I guess it's better than nothing. So there is hope on the horizon!

No comments: