Friday, May 12, 2006

The band banquet

Tonight I went with Josh to the band banquet. It brought back a lot of memories. Ours (back in the day) was far shorter since we did not do senior wills when I was there, but the band directors sort of willed us things. My gift was rubberbands. I know that sounds strange, but their philosophy was that I needed them sinced I bounced from one boyfriend to the next. I dated Marty at the beginning of the year and William at the end. Gee... I did a lot of bouncing. I guess that they were amazed that I even had boyfriends or something. I do remember, however, that wonderful couch on the balcony of the band hall. Marty and I had a few makeout sessions there.
Any-who - the band banquet. What I remember about it was the fact that everyone got emotional at it, but I didn't really. I felt really kind of awkward because I wasn't crying when they played the song "Friends" by Michael W. Smith. I even recall trying to cry, but I couldn't. I'm not sure why, but I think it was because the people that I was closest to in band were all going to WT. I would continue to be with them in band and I didn't see any point in getting all emotional about it. But tonight at Josh's band banquet, they showed a video and the last segment was the same song with multiple pictures of friends in the band. I didn't cry (though I almost did when they showed the marching show again and I heard Josh playing the xylophone). But I got that feeling of melancholy because I remember those wonderful moments I had with my band friends. They are such powerful memories. Some have faded, but there's an emotion that just sticks. I have to say that the experiences I have had with band in both high school and in college have been the best days of my life. How I miss it now. Don't get me wrong, I know I have a pretty good life and I am perhaps not a great success, but in good place. But now that I'm a grown-up, I really wish I could go back to those moments sometimes. I think that one reason why Marty was such an intense rush for me was because I had that emotional connection from high school and band.
I was really proud of Josh tonight. He doesn't like to draw attention to himself and tends to be modest, but what can I say... I'm a proud parent when he gets awards and stuff. Tonight he received a plaque for making all-state band. He also "lettered" in band and received the outstanding freshman award. I am so glad that he has that fire and passion for music. I think what is wrong with a lot of kids these days is that they don't have anything that they really care about. It is sad. But you should see and hear Josh when he talks about music. There's a light in his eyes and you can't help but feel excited along with him.
It was a great night and I'm glad I went to it.

No comments: