Friday, May 26, 2006

It's OVER!!!!!

I'm sort of officially done for the summer. I had to go in this morning to get my last signature on my sign out sheet and then had nothing to do. I verified grades at 8:30 and then I helped Mrs. H clean her room. We had a luncheon at 11:30 that lasted until 1:00 and then were free to go. I thought I was going to have to work a full day, but I was wrong. I had planned to stay in Hereford until graduation, but with six hours to kill I headed home. When I got home I was amazed to find Josh cleaning his room. Without being asked!!! Then I took a nap. I guess I really needed some sleep because I slept for 2 1/2 hours. That's almost unheard of for me lately.
At 5:30 I took Josh to the Canyon graduation since he was playing in the band. Then I drove back to Hereford for its graduation. It was unusual since it was held outside on the football field. I guess that is the only place large enough to hold the crowd. The stands were full... at least at the beginning. At my graduation from high school they announced to the crowd to hold their applause until the end. (Which was convenient for me since I was the last one alphabetically) Of course a few people in the audience didn't hold to that but it wasn't too outrageous. Graduation in Hereford is a little different. They knew better than to tell them to hold their applause. The only thing they did tell them was to stay seated during the entire ceremony so that others could see. Yeah, right. After almost every name there was shouting and yelling and those damn air horns. Whoever sold those things to parents should be stoned or something. (o.k. I'm kidding, but it was really annoying and I may be partially deaf in my left ear now.) I know it's probably a bigger deal to have a child graduate in that community, and I realize that parents are very proud, but is it necessary? Oh, let's not forget the balloons. Numerous people brought bags of balloons to release when their child's name was called. Kind of cool, but I think that is illegal or at least not enviornonmentally friendly. The ceremony lasted about 2 hours but at least it was cool temperature-wise. It looked like potential rain, but it held off. I was surprised by how many girls these days wear high heels. I guess I'm still a wimp in that regard. I never have gotten used to wearing heels of any sort.
Now that my summer break is here, I am not sure what to do with myself. I do have some plans, but for now I think I'm just going to sleep.

1 comment:

Summer said...

You made it through your first year! My sister and I both graduated on the football field, but, that was in the 60's and 70's. Memories. Get some rest!