Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Not much to say

I don't have much to share. I get up in the mornings way too early, drive to school, teach all day, come home, figure out what to do about supper, then plan for lessons or watch t.v. and go to bed. Such is my life. I'm still just tired.

Last night a storm came through around 3 a.m. and if you remember, I have neurotic dog that freaks when there's thunder and lightning. So needless to say, I was up for a while early this morning. Luckily the storm didn't last and I probably got another hour and half of sleep before the alarm went off. I had to get to school early because I had (perhaps) students coming in to serve detentions. Out of about 20 students, three showed up. Now, don't get the wrong idea. It's not like I just write up detentions all the time. Some were from about three weeks ago that I've told them it is their last chance to serve it before it becomes an office referral. Some I've given for blatant refusal to do any work in class. If they just faked it or did a little something, I would perhaps just let it slide, but they refuse and then distract others. Other detentions were for students who misbehaved when a substitute was here. That is big no-no for me. You see, I was a substitute at one time and it was really difficult. I have no tolerance for students that act up when a sub is here. Then I gave a few detentions yesterday for students that absolutely refused to get up and speak for 30 seconds. I mean, get real. We were doing impromptu speeches. I gave them TEN minutes to think on a topic. I even let them decide their own topic rather than draw one randomly. If they didn't have a speech, I told them that they could get up and just talk for 30 seconds about ANYTHING... the weather, what they had for lunch, about their dog... and they refused. I told them it was a choice between the 30 seconds or a detention and they actually took a detention. And it's not like these kids are shy. Even the shy ones got up and made an attempt. And to top it all off, it was for bonus points to help bring up their grades (which many students need). So now, I have to write a million office referrals. One of these days I might learn my lesson. Haven't yet, but maybe soon.

I got a call from my former boss today. He has offered me a job for this weekend. He wants me to help put replacement stickers in one of his school's yearbooks. The plant made a mistake and he needs help. He will pay well so I said "sure!" Josh is also going to help and he can save that money to buy his music program that he wants.

I went to our RCIA final party/get-together this evening. We had burgers and the fixin's. It was nice to see everyone again. I really kind of miss having classes on Wednesdays. Sure, it was difficult when things got busy, but I never missed a single class until the last one. It was a nice way to keep me focused during the week. I certainly notice that I tend to get a little out of focus when I don't have class or Mass at some point.

Well, it's only 9:00 and I'm tired. Maybe I'll go to bed early tonight. Yeah, right. I don't think so either.

No comments: