Sunday, June 25, 2006

More Dallas Details

Wednesday was spent at the tournament all day. Our competitor was out of his major rounds but competed in a consolation event. I had to wait in the judges pool (not swimming) to see if I was going to judge two rounds but there were so many Texas kids entered that I couldn't. I spent all of Wednesday reading my Janet Evanovich book and finished it. I also crocheted a great deal and my shawl is probably long enough now. It was a long day with a lot of sitting around. We were going to go to Macaroni Grill, but we had to wait around for results to see if our students broke (made it to the next rounds) and if we had to come back on Thursday. I did discover something new, however. I am not one that is big on Starbucks because I don't like coffee. But we made a run to Starbucks in order to get coffee for everyone and I ended up getting a Chai Tea Latte. It was quite yummy. And now I've had three of them. But on with the story... We went to Wendy's for supper and then went back to the school to check out results. Our student was out so we didn't have to get up early on Thursday.

Thursday we slept in and took our time getting ready. Since we didn't get to go to Macaroni Grill on Wednesday night, we decided to go there for lunch. We met up with another coach and student and had a great lunch. After that we headed back to the main tournament hotel at the airport so we could watch final rounds of Humorous, Dramatic, and Duo Interpretation. We got there two hours early in order to get in line to get a good seat. It is a good thing that we did that. We were there from 2:00 until 9:30 p.m. The events were great to watch but it made for a long day. After that we went to Denny's for supper and back to the hotel for sleep.

The kids and I got up early on Friday morning to go back to Six Flags. I thought the park opened at 9:00 but it didn't open until 10:00 so we got there almost an hour early. That was o.k. though since we were first in line to head over to Titan. When the park opened we walked briskly over to Titan and was able to walk on to the ride with no waiting in line. It was a great ride. After that we rode Texas Giant again which was rough. Then it was Runaway Mountain (a rollercoaster in the dark), Batman (inverted coaster), Flashback (boomerang coaster), Runaway Mine Train, and then Shockwave (a double loop steel coaster) and La Vibora (a bobsled coaster). We did all of this in under three hours. We then decided to head back for another ride on Titan. We didn't have to wait very long - only about three trains worth. We rode close to the back and it really seems to go a lot faster. I think I almost got the tunnel vision during the last helix. It was so cool! After that it was time to do a little shopping. I headed to the Looney tunes store but was disappointed in the selections. They had some cool Marvin shirts but I already have so many of those. I did finally find a Marvin toy that I don't already have so I bought it and some tylenol. I had a raging headache starting. I guess I'm getting old. I used to be able to stay at the park all day long with no problems. Now I get a headach after three hours. I think I really justed needed some food and drink. We left the park and then went to Sonic and got food.

That takes to Friday afternoon. I'll finish the story this afternoon. I have to leave for Mass.

No comments: