Thursday, June 01, 2006

oh, puh-leeze!

In case you wonder why I tend to be skeptical about meeting people online let me give you an example. Check out this yahoo profile: http://profiles.yahoo.com/desmond_adam
and then come back here.
Next check out this one: http://profiles.yahoo.com/bobyharris446

What's so funny is that the second one named "Bobby" chatted with me last night and as soon as I told him that I wasn't interested in a relationship especially a long distance one, the conversation ended quickly. No biggie.
Tonight I get an IM from the guy from the first profile "Desmond". You'd think they might remember chatting with me briefly and perhaps might even change their fake picture. Here's how the conversation went after he sent the IM stating he was 42m in Florida.

coaster_lover_tx (6/1/2006 7:20:22 PM): That's interesting... your name was bobby last night and you were from SC
coaster_lover_tx (6/1/2006 7:20:59 PM): http://profiles.yahoo.com/bobyharris446?intl=us&os=win&ver=7,0,2,120
coaster_lover_tx (6/1/2006 7:21:33 PM): Cat got your tongue?

Can you imagine that he didn't even respond?? How's that for a nice laugh? All the more confirmation that you never know who you're talking to online. Geez.

2 comments:

Cin said...

That is so sad when someone has to put up a fake picture. What did this guy think he was going to accomplish anyway? I guess he didnt think that you were going to look at his fake picture again. Let alone notice his "name change". Durrr @ him for being a retard.

Anonymous said...

Interesting indeed. I am inindated with messages maybe 4 -10 per day of guys that are obviously from another country. I think there is some kind of scam going on looking for women in the US that they can take advantage of. Aint happenin here. There is a pattern to them too. They usually use two name seperated by an underscore sometimes there will be a number at the end. I immidiately look a profile when I don't recognize the name. The conversations begin with them sending a message telling me they have just looked at my profile and they believe I am beautiful and they want a loving long term relationship and are willing to relocate. Usually they take their time in responding with exactly where in the World they are located. They hold international type jobs lawyers, investments and jewelery dealers, etc. You'll notice from the beginning the english they use is broken and sometimes difficult to understand. I ALWAYS ignore these people but I just started doing a google search first and it's interesting I am seeing many posts very much the same as this one. I believe there is more to this scam than I've cared to investigate. Ohhh and a number of these people say they are actually temporarily on business in South Africa and/or the UK. I believe they are preying on mid aged career women who might be able to finance a trip to the US for them. Just before I put them on ignore I now send them a great big FU :-)