Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Some Girl Talk

Just to give any guys reading this fair warning... I'm going to talk about some female issues so it's your choice if you want to keep reading or not.

First I want to say that having a period in general sucks. It is never fun. For me I have cramps, tender breasts, and the week before it starts I pretty much eat everything in sight. It's yucky and a horrible experience every month. And if your cycle is somewhat irregular and you're not on birth contro,l sometimes it comes as a surprise and your clothes get ruined. Yeah, a little graphic here, but I wanted you to get the picture.

When I was married and had a lot of stress I would skip my periods. This I didn't mind so much. It was kind of nice to go two months before the nasty visitor arrived again. But now I'm having the opposite problem. In two months, I've had four periods. This is not a good thing. And I don't have any stress going on in my life. It's summer and I'm free as a bird! It gives me a little pause for concern because this is something really out of the ordinary for me. Both my mom and my sister had hysterectomies at a young age. My mom was 36 (the age I am now) and my sister was 29.

I called my doctor's office the first time it happened. I was told sometimes that happens and not worry, but if it happened again, to let them know. So I did. I went to the doctor today. I had the very fun pap smear test performed again. They pricked my finger and drew blood which determined that I'm not anemic. But I am scheduled for a pelvic ultrasound this Friday just to make sure things are normal. I've also been put on birth control pills to hopefully get things regulated. Now before you start on a rant about the fact that I'm Catholic and birth control is a bad, evil thing, let me explain... Contraception (meaning the prevention of a potential life) is what the Church opposes. The fact that I am not married, not having sex, have no intentions to have sex and the pills are for a medical purpose and not for preventing life, then I'm o.k. in the eyes of the Church.

The thing is that I am a TERRIBLE pill taker. When I get medicine like an antibiotic or something, I diligently take it the first few days because generally I feel miserable and I know the pills make me feel better. When I start to feel better, I quickly forget about them. I know that's not good, but I've never been a good pill taker. I can't take daily vitamins because I'm so forgetful. When I was in college and actually on birth control, it was amazing that I didn't get pregnant when I seriously dated someone. But I am determined to do this. I know that when the pills run out (or if I forget to take them for a few days), shortly thereafter the "fun" begins. Hopefully I will delay that as much as possible.

I just hope that my issue is something that needs to be regulated and not something more serious. I tend to overanalyze things (as my faithful blog readers well know) so you know that I immediately googled my symptoms to determine all possible causes. I was able to rule out several things. I'm certainly not pregnant or breast feeding. I'm not taking any other medication currently including birth control pills. I'm not sexually active nor have I had any occasion to have any objects in my vagina. So now I'm left with an infection, fibroids, structural issues, hypothyroidism, or cancer. I really hope that it's either nothing or something fairly simple to resolve. In any case, a few prayers or kind thoughts would be most appreciated.

No comments: