Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Hairy Dilemma

First let me apologize by telling you that this is me at the end of a long day of juding 4 CX Debate rounds. I didn't have the strength to deal with contacts today. But on to my dilemma. My hair. I just don't know what to do with it any more. The reason why it is currently long is because I just have been too lazy and haven't really had the time to do anything about it. The last time I got it cut was some time in 2005. I did trim it myself about a month ago and cut about an inch and a half off of it. I also trim my bangs (badly), but enough to keep me sane. I'm getting to the point that I feel something has to be done with my hair. Although I do like the long look and I especially like the way it looks when it's straightened, I rarely ever take to time straighten or even style it. I honestly can't remember the last time I wore it straight. The problem is that I don't really do anything with it. I don't take the time to style it and there's just not much that can be done. The look I'm sporting today is my typical wash and go but I did add some gel this morning to lock in a little more of the curl/wave. I really need something that is a wash and go style or takes very little work to style. I just am not going to take 30 or even 15 minutes in the morning to deal with my hair. My current routine is about 1 minute of drying my bangs and putting a quick curl in them with the curling iron. Oh sometimes I pull it back with combs or barrettes, but that's it. I do sometimes curl the ends, but I just don't know what else to do with it. Sure, I could french braid it, but that look just doesn't quite go for me.
I have worn my hair in all sorts of lengths, from very short, to pretty long. I just don't know what might look good on me with my fairly round (fat) face that I hear is called a squoval (not quite square, not quite oval). I need something that will work with my natural wave. It's not curl... it's just wavy hair that generally doesn't cooperate when you need it to flip in a certain direction. I am more adept at using a curling iron (I grew up the 80's) and I'm not very patient with using a hair dryer. I don't really care about the length, I just need something easy to manage and maintain. Just to give you some ideas of previous lengths and styles... here are some more pictures.











So your challenge... should you choose to accept it: Tell me what you like and don't like. Give me suggestions on what I should do. Keep it long, grow it longer, get it cut - and styles you might suggest. Send me pictures or give me links to things to consider. Keep in mind a couple of things:

I will not spend a lot of time on my hair. Anything too complex is out.
I probably won't straighten it often. It needs to be something that will look o.k. straight or with my waviness.
I will not grow my bangs out. I cannot stand anything in my eyes and right now they are very borderline for me.
Length is not an issue for me. I just don't want to look fatter than I already do.

8 comments:

Leann said...

OMG your hair is my hair!! It's roughly the same length and I have the same problem. I pull it back into a bun or pony tail most of the time because I just don't want to make time to do anything with it, but refuse to cut it. My best friend is a flat iron. I really love your hair and would not want to see you cut it, but you have to do what you can live with. Helpful wasn't I??? LOL

Andrew said...

I like the very last picture with it short. I think you look just darling in that photo. I like short hair on women though so don't listen to me. Short hair is easier to keep, isn't it?

Sue said...

I personally really like your hair the way it is.

Maybe you can add some layers to give it some more volume/shape and that will give you the option to wash and go, or straighten it.

I have recently cut mine short from a very similar hairstyle as yours, but it is work to keep up short-straight hair!

Good luck in your decision making... Be sure to share a pic when you decide.

Sue

Summer said...

The next to the last photo is my favorite. It's very becoming on you.

Terri said...

oh too funny and a great idea to solicit help with the hair! I just recently went through this and on a whim just did what the stylist wanted to do. I had straight hair down to nearly my waist. I ended up donating ten inches and now have shoulder length layered hair. The stylist did fancy stuff with product, a dryer and a round brush which I cannot recreate to save my life, but I do like the new length and when I curl it I get compliments so something turned out right. And the good thing is, its only hair and it will come back! Good luck in your decision and be sure to post a new pic! I love how you have pics of all your hairstyles - genius!

Susanlee said...

As the queen of lazy hair I'm afraid I can't give any very good suggestions. I do think that it looks good now, but I'm pretty covetous of anyone with waves. My hair, as you know, is stick straight at all times. I'm also among the crowd that says fie! to those that say "short hair is easier." That is just not true. Because with short hair, you don't have the option of the always lovely pony-tail, of which I am a huge fan. If you like it straight I'd say to invest in a flat-iron. A good one that just takes like 5 minutes to run through all your hair. Wash at night so it's try in the morning and flatten away...sorry that's as much help as I can be...

Cheryl said...

OK..my 2 cents. I think you should go for shoulder length hair with long layers. I think you should let your bangs grow out and wear them to the side. You definitely need product in your hair, like a good gel. Put the gel in on towel-dried hair and leave it alone for about 10 minutes. You should get a blowdryer with a diffuser, and use that to dry your hair. It should take less than 5 minutes. That's my hairdresser's opinion. Write me if you have any questions, OK?

Unknown said...

I like you hair on the long side. I can't really tell if you have layers but they can make "eeehh" hair into bombshell hair. Have you ever used hot rollers? My mother has hair that is like yours she uses the hot rollers a couple of time a week. Puts them in before she puts on make up, then take them out after. Just give the wave some direction...She gets complements on her hair alot. I don't really know if that would work for you.