Sunday, February 18, 2007

San Antonio, Car Batteries, and MP3 players

My trip to San Antonio was pretty uneventful which is good since last year was horrible coming home with the stomach flu. I meant to leave directly from Hereford after school, but I thought that I had left my heater on in my bedroom (which I did) so I wanted to make sure it was off before I left. I left around 4:30 and got to Brady, TX around 10:30. I checked into the hotel and immediately went to bed. I didn't sleep just great because I was awake by 5:30 and couldn't really go back to sleep. I got up at 6:30 and got ready. I left by 7:30 and made it to San Antonio by 10:00. By the time I found parking (luckily I there was a $5 lot directly behind the theatre), I got inside the theatre at 10:15. The seats were already starting to fill up. I was lucky to find a seat between two other "saved" seats. I had to wait 45 for the concert and didn't bring anything to read with me. The concert started and it was very nice. Josh was 2nd chair in the concert band. After his concert I left and paid for the CD for him. I then saw my friend Kirsten and Josh's band director. I was supposed to meet my ex-husband, Richard, for lunch, but he decided it was too cold for him to make a bike ride into town. So instead I went with Kirsten and we went over to the mall for a bit and then had a buffet lunch at a nearby hotel. I'm not sure, but I think it is the first time I have ever had veal. It was o.k., but nothing to write home about. After lunch, I started the long trip back. You might call me crazy for driving 17 hours round trip for a 30 minute concert, but I think Josh is worth it. My parents rarely ever made it to one of my concerts so I want to make sure I can go to as many as his as possible. There are a few that I have missed because of speech things, but I do go to most of them. I was tired when I got back which was 10:45 last night. Josh called me shortly after I got in and said that his car wouldn't start. Once again, he left his lights on. I went and picked him up since I didn't have jumper cables.

After church today, I took Josh to the auto store and we got some jumper cables. We took them over to his car and read the directions on the back. I figured it couldn't be too complex - you match red (positive) with red (positve) on each car and then the black (negative) on black (negative). Well, the instructions tell us to not put the black on on the negative terminal but to instead connect it to the engine block. I don't even know what the engine block is or looks like but it also warns to keep it away from tubing, the carburator, and fuel line. I see plenty of tubes and wires and I wouldn't know the carburator or fuel line from anything else. (But I do know a few things... I can add oil, washer fluid and antifreeze in the right places. I have also replaced the air filter and headlight bulbs - so I'm not completely helpless) So we didn't know how to connect (or not connect) the darn thing. We made a guess that was wrong. I thought maybe that the battery was just deader than a doornail and would have to get another one. I forgot my cell phone so we had to come back to the house so I could call my brother for help. Tim (my brother) said he would be glad to help, but he was in New Mexico at the moment on his way back. He did tell me to ignore the instructions and just hook the clamps to all the terminals. So we went back and did that and sure enough, the car started right up.

After that exciting experience I went up to Amarillo. I have been thinking about buying myself something that is completely selfish. I think I want to get an MP3 player. I had one that I bought a few years ago, but it was stolen from my desk drawer. I know, I shouldn't have left it in there, but I simply forgot about it and sure enough when I remembered, it was gone. I don't know exactly what I want, but I have some extra money after judging the debate tournament week before last. So I went to Best Buy to get some ideas. I really want something that I can store all my music on and play in my car. I'm finding out that this might get a bit expensive. They players I looked at range from $149-$199 which isn't bad and about the amount I planned to spend. But that's just the player. To play through the car's radio, you have to get an extra tuner which will run from $40 (on sale) to around $70. If you want accessory cases, they start around $16 and average around $30. I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices and now I'm going to research them and make a decision. I hardly ever buy anything on impulse... especially electronics. I tend to research and search for the best possible price.

Well, that's the excitement of my weekend. I am going back to church at 5:00 for dinner. Luckily I don't have to cook tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's really something special that you would drive all that way to be at his concerts.

My parents never came to anything I did and it made me really sad and sometimes angry. Not so much as a "You'll do great!" or "GOod job!", I even had the honor of singing on stage with Lionel Hampton in Idaho once. (see Wikipedia if you don't know who he is.)