Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Unnecessarily Freaked

I got an email this morning from the transportation director at the school telling me that there was not a Suburban available for our trip to Dallas for TFA state. This is despite my request that I put in at the beginning of January - we weren't going far enough I guess because the priority is dependent on distance and number of people going. He said we could either take two cars or a mini bus with a driver. Neither of those scenarios were acceptable as we are taking 7 (or 8) students plus two sponsors in addition to luggage and extemp files. We couldn't take a mini bus and driver because we already had our hotel rooms reserved and there was no additional rooms. We also need the flexibility of having two vehicles since the competition would be taking place in three different locations. So I panic and tell the other teacher and we figure out what it would cost to rent a minivan and then I send a frantic email to the principal trying to justify the cost of the minivan etc. Almost the moment I sent the email, my office phone rings and it's the transportation director telling me that a coach cancelled a trip and that the surburban was now available. So that was a brief headache this morning.

I am still dismayed at the number of students failing my debate class. I still have students that haven't turned in any work for the past six weeks. I am amazed. And yet there are those that have done everything and have a 100 average. I guess I just don't get it. I wonder if I'm being too hard, but if so, why do I have those that are getting the work done?

I took Josh to the florist to pick out flowers for his girlfriend. They are so dang expensive these days. He/we spent $33 for a fairly small bouquet of mixed flowers with a single red rose. I'm sure she will love them, but dang.

Josh leaves tomorrow for All-state band. I'll be home alone for the next couple of days. We have an 80% chance of snow tonight. I'm so sick of snow. I know it could be worse like that place in New York that has gotten 141 inches in 7 days, but we generally don't get this much and I'm tired of it!

2 comments:

Summer said...

I remember when my oldest son was on the debate team in high school. They were treated like the step child, never any funding for trips, but you could be sure that the football team had every little request granted. It used to make me so mad and still does for you.

Andrew said...

Well, at least you don't have to ride on the "short bus." he he