Monday, September 25, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

I had a nice evening despite the pangs of guilt I'm feeling at the moment. No, no torrid affair or anything like that. I went to the bookstore. I know, I know. I have better things to spend my money on - like bills. But sometimes you just have to do things on a whim. It's been a while since I've gotten to really browse the bookstore. First, I rushed home after school to pick up some supper for Josh since he wouldn't be able to eat until after his evening band rehearsal. I figured since he wasn't going to be home and I didn't have papers and such to grade that I could actually make the trip to Amarillo and get the special printing paper I've been desperately needing to get. But first, I needed supper as well so I indulged in my favorite fast food, Taco Villa. Then off to Office Max to get the paper. Then I decided that I had time to go to Barnes and Noble. I wanted to find some books for my students to get their prose and poetry selections from and so I spent about an hour and and a half browsing and skimming books. I settled on three and guiltily bought them. I should be ordering them through the school, but sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get a purchase order for such extravagances. It was nice to just sit and be still for a little while. Now I'm home and I don't have much time to get things accomplished. I still have the book I got in Albuquerque that I want to read. I started reading it at the speech tournament and now I want to keep at it. I hate it when I have a good book I'm reading and I don't have the time to enjoy it. As much as the thought of becoming a librarian is enticing, I figure that even then, I wouldn't get time to read. The job of a librarian these days is more than just keeping track of books. It also entails audio visual equimpment of all kinds and computer troubleshooting. But now instead of doing the dishes or the laundry, I think I'm going to curl up with my book and try to stop feeling guilty about it.

No comments: