Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What I hate about personal ads

Here's the Top Ten Things I Hate About Personals

1. Poor grammar. I'm sure I don't need to explain this as I've mentioned it numerous times. I think that if you don't take the time to at least have words spelled correctly when you're trying to make an impression on others that you are either stupid or lazy and neither is acceptable on profiles. (I know it's different in blogosphere as we tend to simply write and post without much editing, but when trying to catch someone's eye, saying that "ur lookin four a speshal ladie" isn't quite going to do it.)

2. No pictures on profile. What are you hiding? I tend to guess that no pictures means one of two things. Hiding the fact that they weigh 600 pounds or that they are technologically challenged and can't figure out how to put one on there.

3. Pictures that are really old. Again, what are you hiding? Sure, we all look better in some of those few great pictures we have. I know everyone has their degree of shallowness, but for me, as long as you're not someone that I'd be embarrassed to be seen with in public, then no big deal.

4. Lying in your profile. Saying that you have this job here or make this amount of money or you're divorced when you have no job, no income and you're simply separated. Unfortunately we try to sell ourselves in our profile and only put the perfectionist parts, but honesty is still expected at least on my part.

5. Refusing to acknowledge emails. If you're not interested... that's o.k. You can even simply say that you're seeing where something is going with someone else. But ingnoring emails is not very gentleman-like or lady-like. Even those that emailed me and I wasn't interested for one reason or another, I at least acknowledged the email.

6. Someone that is not discerning at all. When they list "any" on everything in potential mates seems to indicate someone that will take anyone that gives them the time of day. It's o.k. to have standards and we should have some.

7. Someone seeking perfection. Those people that won't even consider someone that isn't in swimsuit model condition. It seems that they don't care whether someone has a brain or can think for herself.

8. Guys that use the word "lonely". For me that is the ultimate word that makes me want to turn and run. Sure, we all have the feeling that we'd like to have a partner and companionship, but saying you're lonely is a killer word. It reaks of desperation.

9. Profiles that list all the don'ts. Although you don't find these often, profiles that have a list of what they're not looking for instead of what they are.

10. Those that seek people way out of their age range. For me I can go 10 years forward or about 7 years backwards. Those men that are 50 looking for women 18-35 have something seriously wrong with them. We call that robbing the cradle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"ur lookin four a speshal ladie"

Okay, you owe me a computer monitor. I just spewed diet coke all upon it. Time to whip out the Windex and a clean rag.

Billy said...

I really don't care for personal ads. In my opinion, it's as if someone is trying to hide by just placing one. Now I know that there are people who actually meet that way and have great relationships. It's just not for me. I would rather see or meet someone and then try and pursue them. It would be rather hard with a busy schedule such as mine. I can only imagine how hard it would be for you.

Anonymous said...

i hate personal ads as i,m dealing with personal issues. We live in a superficial,uptight,materialistic, judgemental,egotistical world which would rather have no morals or values. I can,t believe how people really are now. where are the true gentlemen or ladies? i,m a single man who sees society in true decay as men or women seem to believe all is properly normal and is controlled by derogatory,sexist,immature forms of advertising multimedia. wake up and see how it insults people who only wish to be able to find true love with someone special.