Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Second Date Details

It was so very romantic. Sifting through the raw sewage and tossing bricks. What more could you ask for?

O.k. I know that sounds a bit strange... but lemme esplain.

Brian informed me through many conversations that he is a bit of a handy man. He offered to help me with some things around my house that my dad never seems to be able to get to. I told him that he was my new best friend. I told him of my sewage issues and how it would be difficult to deal with and that I had a swamp in my back yard. I don't think he quite believed my description at first. But he offfered to bring his tools and try to unplug it. So this was sort of our second date.

He came over but quickly discovered that it was more complex than it was. (Yeah, I told him so.) He did a lot of digging. I even helped move bricks out of the way. (sewer runs beneath an old brick patio) At one point he thought that we'd have to dig the entire line up but in the end he finally figured it was just one section that may need to be replaced so the boys (Josh, David and anyone else that wants to help) will be working on that this week.

So what does all this mean? I was very impressed by Brian offering to do all this. I don't think a man has ever worked this hard for me. Sure, I've had other boyfriends and a husband that sometimes did stuff. But Brian is one that seems to immediately follow through with things. I'm not sure how to take it all. The problem isn't solved, but he did fix it where it won't continue to flow into the yard and I know he'll follow through on completing the project. He just may be a good guy to keep around.

Well, after he got to a stopping point. He took a shower and I worked on supper. I made cashew chicken and rice. We had margaritas. (He even brought the tequila and mix stuff with him) Had cheesecake for dessert. Then we snuggled on the couch and watched t.v. How I have missed snuggling. It was very nice. We did a little lot of kissing. And once again, he was a perfect gentleman. It really is kind of refreshing to simply be able to snuggle and kiss with no strings attached. Meaning it didn't progress to anything more than that, nor was it going to. And that's what I need right now. I'm trying to be on my best behavior you see. I'm trying to not let a relationship progress too fast and get into a physical mode before I've had a chance to even really get to know someone. Too many times has sex gotten in the way. And my next (hopefully final) relationship shouldn't have anything to do with sex. It should have to do with finding the person that is right for me. The person that will become my best friend. The person that I can imagine spending the rest of my life with.

Is it Brian? I don't know. He's very nice. Obviously there's some physical chemistry there or we wouldn't have snuggled and kissed. But there has to be that emotional connection as well. And that is something that will take time - if it ever develops. And I know he's falling for me and I'll be the one putting on the brakes. It seems that most men have tended to fall faster for me than I have for them. But I'm not jumping into to something again. I can't. I have to be careful with my heart. It's not that I think he'd hurt me. It's not that. It's once again the fact that I want to make sure I'm making the right choice. That's why I won't limit myself to him right now. Granted, I have no other romantic interests at the moment. And if others come along I know it will bother him if I see them. But I'm not certain of him yet. I keep telling him that I might scare him away, but he's not fudging one bit. I told him that I can be difficult, moody, and all of that. But he's remaining pretty steadfast.

But it is all just one step at a time. No rushing for me. As much as I'd like to be settled down and married (happily this time) again, I know better than to simply settle for the first guy that comes along. Doesn't mean that if I choose for it to be Brian, it's settling. I'm just going to try to be wise and look at entire picture before deciding on anyone. Consider it a lesson learned.

2 comments:

Susanlee said...

*squeals* I love hearing about new relationships!! This one sounds like it's progressing at a nice pace. I'm proud of you!

Cin said...

I am glad to hear that you have found a gentleman. I hope everything works out for you. :)