Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A few things to tell

First of all I want to say that the raspberry iced tea at Sonic is horrible. It has a funky kind of aftertaste that just isn't right. I don't know if they put diet flavoring or what, but I could not drink it today. Next, I am really, really craving a coke right now. Six weeks is really a long time.
Last night my son came up to me and said "Guess what?"
Normally, I don't have too much fear and trepidation when he says that because it's usually something minor like "We played such and such piece in band today." Last night he told me that he has a date for prom. Remember that my son is 15 and a freshman. And he's taking a junior to the PROM. I don't know if I should feel elated, excited for him, nervous, or if I am just feeling really old.
I still remember MY prom. I had a little pink dress with spaghetti straps. It was a size 3. My date was my boyfriend at the time. The evening was o.k. I can't say it was great. The best thing about it was dinner which was at a Japanese steakhouse. But I didn't really have fun and I knew that my boyfriend wouldn't be around much longer. Sure enough, the day after prom he dumped me for a red-headed flute player. I always regretted not going to prom with my friend Bret. (Yes, the one and the same that is the Baptist preacher in California) I'm not sure he would have asked me, but he went with an underclassmen that he barely knew. I think if we had gone as friends we would have had a blast! But oh well.
And now my son is going to the prom. I am happy for him, but I am also thinking how much is this going to cost? $150 for the tux, dinner, corsage....I hope she's worth it. I asked him if they were going as friends and he said yes. This girl is also one that has been getting him involved in going to some church activities at the Methodist church, so I think that is a plus.
And that reminds me of a joke I got in email the other day. I am paraphrasing and retelling this, so if I get the names or something wrong, don't sue me, o.k.?
A kindergarten class was having show and tell. They were supposed to bring something that represented their religion. So one little boy gets up and says, "I am Jewish and this is a Star of David." Another girl gets up and says "I'm Catholic and this is a rosary." Then little Timmy gets up and says, "I'm a Methodist and this is a casserole."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope the date is with a good girl, and not a "Bad" girl.. you know how those bad girls are...